Thread: Tasmania couple farm guinea pigs so they can kill them to eat their meat - Daily Mail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/29 Posts

Tasmania couple farm guinea pigs so they can kill them to eat their meat - Daily Mail

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/29 Posts

Re: Tasmania couple farm guinea pigs so they can kill them to eat their meat - Daily

I know News Feed is automated and I know that other countries/cultures farm cavies for meat, but _seriously_, News Feed, you really chose a bad story.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/16 Posts

Re: Tasmania couple farm guinea pigs so they can kill them to eat their meat - Daily

This may sound bad but this is people’s culture. Guinea pigs are pets to us but some of us eat cows and people in India have them as pets and worship them. So bottom line we should not make people sound bad that they eat food that is in their culture.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    565 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    923 Rec'd/711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen1 View Post
    This may sound bad but this is people’s culture. Guinea pigs are pets to us but some of us eat cows and people in India have them as pets and worship them. So bottom line we should not make people sound bad that they eat food that is in their culture.
    You are correct. In this instance however, News Feed picked a story about people who eat guinea pigs, not keep them as pets.

While it's accepted practice in other areas of the world, a news story about eating guinea pigs showing up on a forum of cavy lovers is a bitter pill, and I think that's what @4boipigs is getting at.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    You are correct. In this instance however, News Feed picked a story about people who eat guinea pigs, not keep them as pets.

While it's accepted practice in other areas of the world, a news story about eating guinea pigs showing up on a forum of cavy lovers is a bitter pill, and I think that's what @4boipigs is getting at.
    Ok, I was just saying that it sounds bad that some one is saying something problematic to them I feel like it is offending some cultures.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/20 Posts

It's just sad...

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rosiethecutepig View Post
    It's just sad...
    I agree I try my best not to think about it. Even though some cultures do eat them it still is sad.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/459 Posts

In this particular story thought it is not a cultural thing, it isn't considered socially normal to eat guinea pigs here in Australia. That is probably why it was considered news worthy enough to publish in the first place because it is not something a normal Australian would do.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    In this particular story thought it is not a cultural thing, it isn't considered socially normal to eat guinea pigs here in Australia. That is probably why it was considered news worthy enough to publish in the first place because it is not something a normal Australian would do.
    Is that why so many celebrities are moving to Australia?
    (This was meant as a joke. I'm not trying to be mean.)

User Tag List