Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Ear infection or brain tumour

I took my guinea pig called Apricot to the vet on Tuesday because she suddenly developed a head tilt. The vet said hopefully it was caused by an inner ear infection but hopefully it is not a brain tumour because she is showing no other signs of an infection (ears are clean, eating and drinking, weight good etc) She has been put on Sulfatrim antibiotic and loxicom for pain.

So far there is no sign of improvement with the head tilt but I have noticed one eye is possibly protruding more than the other. I wondered whether it was due to the position of her head but it looked the same when she moved her head to nearer the correct position.

Shes still eating and squeaking for her food and seems to be coping well but Im getting more and more concerned that she has a fast growing brain tumour.

Apricot was a rescue so Im not 100% sure of her age but shes 3-4 years old.

what do you guys think?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/26 Posts

Re: Ear infection or brain tumour

Well from my understanding from what my own vet told me while discussing causes of my own pig having seizures, there's no way to get like an MRI or whatever of a pig to see tumors. Did you discuss the eye issue w/ the doctor?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4boipigs View Post
    Well from my understanding from what my own vet told me while discussing causes of my own pig having seizures, there's no way to get like an MRI or whatever of a pig to see tumors. Did you discuss the eye issue w/ the doctor?
    I only noticed the bulgy eye today.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    913 Rec'd/704 Posts

I'm sorry you're in this position.

A skull x-ray may have given you a better idea of what's going on. It may have at least shown a mass, but determining if its a tumour or infection would be very difficult.

The bulging eye can also be from both problems. Swelling from a tumour, or a growing infection could cause that kind of pressure so try not to be alarmed yet. It WILL take a few days for the antibiotics to start working. I also had a boar with an infection way down at the bottom of his ear, which affected his eating. He also had no other signs of infection other than not eating.

If the bulging eye progresses rapidly or other symptoms begin to show up, take her back to the vet as soon as you possibly can.

The fact that she is still active and eating is a good sign.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    I'm sorry you're in this position.

A skull x-ray may have given you a better idea of what's going on. It may have at least shown a mass, but determining if its a tumour or infection would be very difficult.

The bulging eye can also be from both problems. Swelling from a tumour, or a growing infection could cause that kind of pressure so try not to be alarmed yet. It WILL take a few days for the antibiotics to start working. I also had a boar with an infection way down at the bottom of his ear, which affected his eating. He also had no other signs of infection other than not eating.

If the bulging eye progresses rapidly or other symptoms begin to show up, take her back to the vet as soon as you possibly can.

The fact that she is still active and eating is a good sign.
    thank you for the reply, her head tilt seems worse tonight and Im not sure whether shes lost a bit of weight, so I will re-evaluate in the morning. She is still eating, walking as well as she can and chatting away to the others. Its so difficult to know what to do for her in her best interests.

User Tag List