Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy New Adoption, might be pregnant??

stephable

Cavy Slave
Hi!

I recently adopted 4 female guinea pigs from someone giving them away for free. I've had them a little under a week and 2 look a little bulbous in the belly... I haven't had piggies before and I haven't handled them much (don't want to stress them after a move) but I'm planning to get them out tomorrow and have a look at them while I do a clean up of their house.

The main reason I'm suspicious is that the lady who gave them to me said that one had babies recently who were apparently taken by their cat and she had lost some fur because of it. I figure if they bred one they may have had the others with a male too :s

I'm commited to looking after these lovely ladies, I want to give them a forever home after being given away online after her son got bored of them :c Just want to make sure I give them the best care if they are pregnant.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow after having a look at them but just for background info, they're on oaten hay and I was given a "mix" food but am weaning off that and onto a good mix of veg with occational fruit and I have a high quality guinea pig pellet ordered and on the way. I've had a bit of a google and plan on increasing the fruit in their diet if they do end up being pregnant.

Is it ok to leave all 4 together with 2 being pregnant (if they are)? They all seem to enjoy each others company so they're a nice little herd. I've heard the other females help with the babies but wasn't sure if 2 pregnancies at once would be an issue?

Very aware that they become sexually mature young so if they do have babies I'll seperate the males at about 3-4 weeks and I'll be finding them new homes, my space isn't big enough for more!

Thanks in advance!

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
No, I don´t think two being pregnant at once will be an issue. They will nurse each other's pups. If the pigs are all females, there should be no issue in housing. As long as the other two females don´t end up being pigs that hate pups, you should be fine. I will tag a more experienced member just to be sure. [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], can you clarify? Thanks :)

stephable

Cavy Slave
IMG_20210227_095222.jpgIMG_20210227_094742.jpg

These are the two girls I was talking about. On the left is Clementine and on the right is Satsuma. After looking at them today and gently feeling I'm pretty sure they are pregnant. Felt their hips too and they don't seem to be seperated so I still have a bit of time.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
It is OK to leave them together as long as their cage is big enough for them and the babies otherwise they will become overly stressed.

One result of that is them chewing the babies ears ...one of my girls who I adopted was a result of that situation in her previous home and has hardly any ears left. A painful situation for any pup.

If they are definitely pregnant, you will also want to be ready to baby proof the cage to protect the babies from hazards such as fitting through grids.

Also you want to separate male pups from any females (including mom) at 3 weeks of age.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.