Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Curse the shavings!!!

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave TheGuineaPigGal's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2020
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    126
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/38 Posts

    Question Curse the shavings!!!

    I spot clean both my guinea pig cages twice a day, considering Oreo is a messmaker, and there are four guinea pigs in the other cage. I deep clean about once a month considering how clean I like to keep it, but on to the issue, the shavings stick to my leggings (My go-to) and wonīt come off. They just turn into lint in the dryer, and now my clothes are covered in lint! And of course, lint rollers donīt work when you really need them. Does anybody have any tricks that they use to minimize shavings sticking to clothing? Thank you!

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave 4boipigs's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 12, 2021
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/61 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    This is why I switched to fleece. Now I don't have paper bedding all over my floor and my stuff. Now I only have to worry about hay on my floor.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave TheGuineaPigGal's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2020
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    126
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/38 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    Yes, I use mostly fleece, but I keep bedding by the water bottles and hay racks bc those are their favorite spot to defecate and urinate, right next to the food. The bedding seems to absorb urine better, and it is easier to change.

  4. #4
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 24, 2021
    Location
    USA, Texas
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    Oh, as soon as I remembered how much I hated shavings. It was the nastiest. Especially if it was wet, it's terrible. So now I only use fleece. Without it, nowhere.

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jul 01, 2013
    Location
    Western Mass.
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    I use fleece over wood pellets from Tractor Supply or Home Depot. Use them all over cage and in litter box. Last for 2 months at least in cage with no odor. Also have used fleece over Uhaul over wood pellets. No more shavings unless I travel. Huge savings also.

  6. #6
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,856
    Mentioned
    2122 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4116 Post(s)
    Thanks
    220
    Thanks
    7,556 Rec'd/6,038 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    A 3-4 inch layer of pellets covered by fleece will last at least a year.

  7. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  8. #7
    Cavy Slave TheGuineaPigGal's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2020
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    126
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/38 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    A 3-4 inch layer of pellets covered by fleece will last at least a year.
    And its safe if eaten?

  9. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jul 01, 2013
    Location
    Western Mass.
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    For my girls, they picked up a pellet once and then realized it was not food, . As long as the pellets do not have any fuel additives they are safe. I get something like Lignetics Green Supreme Pellets from Home Depot and Tractor Supply.

  10. #9
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,856
    Mentioned
    2122 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4116 Post(s)
    Thanks
    220
    Thanks
    7,556 Rec'd/6,038 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    Mine never ate them. They tasted them when I first switched to them, but quickly realized they weren't food.

  11. #10
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1201 Post(s)
    Thanks
    87
    Thanks
    1,648 Rec'd/1,355 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    There is one other significant issue with wood shavings, especially if you have boars. They tend to get the shavings stuck on their penis and then can't retract the penis because the shavings get caught between the penis and the penile sheath. Now the poor boy can't retract his penis and it drags on the wood shavings. Must be mighty uncomfortable!

  12. #11
    Cavy Slave 4boipigs's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 12, 2021
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/61 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    There is one other significant issue with wood shavings, especially if you have boars. They tend to get the shavings stuck on their penis and then can't retract the penis because the shavings get caught between the penis and the penile sheath. Now the poor boy can't retract his penis and it drags on the wood shavings. Must be mighty uncomfortable!
    When I used paper bedding this happened a lot. I always had to check for bedding in their anal sacks. Now the most I have to do is make sure my sheltie-mix doesn't get things trapped in his long fur near his rear.

  13. #12
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1201 Post(s)
    Thanks
    87
    Thanks
    1,648 Rec'd/1,355 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    You haven't been around the Forum long enough to know my story, so here goes. Back when I briefly used wood shavings, I had this very thing happen to one of my boars. Fast forward to around the end of 2019, I went into my local Petco to get some of the SoPhresh litter and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a cage with its inhabitant sitting up near the registers with a sign indicating that it was a surrender and up for adoption.

    Upon a closer look, there was this beautiful adult black cavy and I immediately asked to hold him. Yep, you guessed it! Poor boy's penis was stuck in the "ready position" and he couldn't retract it. I wasted no time in asking for a q-tip and proceeded to take a tube of Aquaphor out of my hand bag and proceeded to clean Zip's penis and sheath.......right there. I don't think that they have ever forgotten me in that store!

  14. #13
    Cavy Slave TheGuineaPigGal's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2020
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    126
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/38 Posts

    Re: Curse the shavings!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    You haven't been around the Forum long enough to know my story, so here goes. Back when I briefly used wood shavings, I had this very thing happen to one of my boars. Fast forward to around the end of 2019, I went into my local Petco to get some of the SoPhresh litter and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a cage with its inhabitant sitting up near the registers with a sign indicating that it was a surrender and up for adoption.

    Upon a closer look, there was this beautiful adult black cavy and I immediately asked to hold him. Yep, you guessed it! Poor boy's penis was stuck in the "ready position" and he couldn't retract it. I wasted no time in asking for a q-tip and proceeded to take a tube of Aquaphor out of my hand bag and proceeded to clean Zip's penis and sheath.......right there. I don't think that they have ever forgotten me in that store!
    Haha, you gotta do what you gotta do though.

    The only things I have ever had get stuck in the penile shaft was a piece of hay in Oreo

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •