Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Fight and dominance issues

Melichat

Cavy Slave
I have 5 females piggies, and since like yesterday, the 3rd (Mini) and 4th (Abby) (who are both around 3/4 months), i caught them teeth chattering at each others yesterday, but only ONCE, not again after that, for the first time, (none of the 5 piggies have EVER teeth chattered before) and then this morning they actually fought, lunging at each others, and actual ball fight, so i threw a towel on them, i took them both out to check, no injury, no blood, nothing. I now have left them together since i've been told you shouldn't separate until they draw blood and maybe just need to figure stuff out. and now they are back at sleeping next to each others, but they seem to be avoiding each others while usually always playing together, running together and popcorning chasing each others

And also. Abby (4th piggie) did bite the boss (Alaska, she is 8-9 months old) on her back, i didn't know until yesterday also, i found a small-ish scab on her back while i had her out for laptime, sent picture to my vet and she confirmed it was a bite wound, and Abby have been climbing on her head often and her back, (either humping or just climbing her) where the bite is...and i AM assuming it's Abby because of how she is, the others never try to climb her, even when in heat, never really chasing her around or anything as Abby is doing constantly, they ALL get along perfect, except Abby so always seem to be weird with everyone, when one is sleeping in a fleece tunnel, she just walk on it after looking at them inside, when they walk next to her, she will sometimes nip at them, making them get out of their bed to take their place, and then leave it after a few seconds.

Should i remove her/section out their cage? i really don't want it to escalate but i would hate to separate them also. I'm assuming she REALLY want to be the boss, but isn't she a bit young, she weights like 510g while Alaska is 995g... and the only thing i've noticed is Alaska have been pulling her hair out on Abby's back, but my vet told me it might be fascination with long hair, all other 4 are short hair and never met long haired piggies before, (i have American, Rex, Teddy and Abyssinian) while she is a Lunkarya, she isn't BALD and don't have bald spots neither, but very short hair on her shoulder blades almost has it she have been shaved there, and this started pretty much from the beginning in mid December, and Abby was VERY small, i think, 260g/1 month and some weeks... so it's why my vet told me might be a weird fascination thing

My cage is 10 feet long by 3 feet wide (120 inches by 36 inches), i've got 5 water bottles, giant hay pile, 7 hides, 6 beds/tunnels, 5 food bowls. so i know it's PROBABLY not related to cage size and i never see food or water related agression neither

Basically Abby seem to be a little rascal

Sorry if it's confusing

Last edited:

Melichat

Cavy Slave
I really don't know what to think, here is how they are RIGHT NOW, they are always like this usually too, even with all the stuff described
piggi.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd get some of the furniture out and replace it with fleece forests draped across several areas of the cage. Breaking up the lines of sight so they're not all always visible to everybody else can help a lot with aggression.

Shove those dishes over to side so they've got more running room. Make some tunnels out of upside-down shoe boxes (remove the lids and cut at least two holes in them) to create more hiding places.

Are you absolutely positive they're all females? You've turned them all over and compared them to each other to make sure?

Melichat

Cavy Slave
I do have fleece forests in each corners, and each have 3 layers of fringes even so very ''full'', i have 2 boxes houses with 2 exits each, 2 (large) bendy wood bridges, with some fringes like a fleece forest also added to them, and the dishes are next to the plexiglass and there is a good 17 inches between where they are and the bowls but i will definitely try to put them at the ends in case, and yep, 500% sure they are all females. I will try out to not put any beds in the open as much for a little and see too, thank you

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.