Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts

Stick in Kaytee hay

I usually buy Oxbow hay but the petstore was COMPLETELY out of hay last week and only had a few Kaytee bags. I haven't bought Kaytee since I got my boys in July 2020, but I had no choice. I came home today and found a stick in their kitchen area I can only assume came from there. I know this isn't uncommon but still not okay for me.

I have a pic but it won't upload...its probably five inches.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    879 Rec'd/675 Posts

Re: Stick in Kaytee hay

You gets what you pays for, unfortunately. I'm not surprised at all to hear this. And hey, it even happens in the better brands of hay. It IS an agricultural product and the harvesting process is highly mechanized. I think I've even heard of dead rats and field mice being in the bags. Haven't come across any of those yet.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    766 Rec'd/664 Posts

I belong to a guinea pig Facebook group and one of the members shared a picture of a dead snake that she had found in her bag of hay. Fortunately for me, all I've found are pieces of wood. When I get my big boxes of hay I'm always leery of reaching down into the box to grab a large handful. Dead or not, I'm afraid if I grabbed a snake that would send me over the edge. Lol!

Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4057 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,490 Rec'd/5,984 Posts

Folks, hay is cut, harvested and packaged by machines. It comes out of fields that have sticks, rocks, and animals (dead and alive) in them. If you want hay that's been hand processed and all the junk removed, be prepared to pay many times as much for it as you're now paying, if you can even find it. Until then, just throw the junk out.

User Tag List