Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Should I Get a Third Guinea Pig?

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody! I am looking in to getting a third guinea pig. I am going to ask my vet but they are closed due to the Texas outages. I am so eager so I am wanting to know your opinion just in case the vet says that it depends and I will need opinions. I have 2 sweet girls that I have had for 10-11 months ( I got them at separate times , but don't worry they had always had a buddy but when Princess' companion passed she was alone for a few weeks. They are tamed not spayed, and about to get a 13 square foot cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't. You've got no guarantee that they'll get along with another pig, and may in fact not get along with each other if you add a third. If you want more pigs, get two so they can be together, and then later you can see about putting them all together.

Crazy piggies

Cavy Slave
If you want too! And are ready to take on a third piggy go ahead there are many pigs who need homes

if possible I recommend a neutered boar

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
There's lots of pig rescues in Texas. I would get with them and see about doing any pig dating first, and have a back up plan if something goes wrong.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Thank you everybody! I will call my vet when they are open and ask. If they say I could I have a rescue in mind that I want to adopt from that look amazing. This is my first time adopting ( My other piggies are from pet stores, my parents said no to rescue, but they didn't know about guinea pig rescues, neither me. If they say no again after I try everything I will not get another pig.) I will try the pig dating after I ask my parents if they say yes I will make an appointment. I will let you guys know if I can get one and post later on.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody! My vet answered my question and he said that it is up to me and would be good if I stayed with the same sex (So female). So right now I may get another piggie after March. Thank you for the advice and opinions!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
The biggest question is can you afford the vet cost? You reference having to ask your parents, so I guess the question really is are they willing and able to afford the vet costs if all 3 get sick which is usually typical and do you have the time to care for all 3 when that should happen?

Also do you have the space to create a whole new cage if they don't get along...or expand the 2x5 to house all 3...like make it 3 grids wide instead of 2.

I know a 2x5 is technically big enough, but now when I see more than two pigs in that size it seems so small. After beds, food, ect. are in they don't really have the room to do the zoomies that they do in a larger environment.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
My parents can afford it and I pay for the annuals. I may look into getting grids off of Amazon instead of cagetopia. I want to build a grid table because I am worried if my dog gets up there and thinks they are toys. I will tell my mom about zoomies. Thanks. (I do have room and now I am think of big cage designs thank you for giving my inspiration)

Last edited:

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
My parents can afford it and I pay for the annuals. I may look into getting grids off of Amazon instead of cagetopia. I want to build a grid table because I am worried if my dog gets up there and thinks they are toys. I will tell my mom about zoomies. Thanks.

I will warn you that sometimes grids and connectors of different brands and from different places may not interconnect properly due to slight sizing issues. Generally the grids & connectors bought via Amazon are skinnier. They work just fine, but get enough to make the cage & stand you want. Same goes for ordering off of cagetopia where they tend to be thicker grids and larger holes in the connectors.

I highly suggest a stand attached to the cage. It is easier on your back for cleaning, provides storage underneath, and most importantly gets the pigs off of the floor away from cold drafts & other pets.

Make sure you also get plenty of zip ties too. For a secure cage you want to zip tie at every connection. You will have a nice sturdy cage afterwards that will be durable & safe!

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the warning and I also know that baby and young guinea pigs can get their heads stuck in some grids.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the warning and I also know that baby and young guinea pigs can get their heads stuck in some grids.

Yes. You should always baby proof the cage if you have young or babies no matter which grids you buy. But watch for grids that have too large of holes to begin with because those are not safe for even adults.

To baby proof: Simply zip tie extra grids to the outside so they are slightly offset to make the the grid holes smaller or place cardboard or coroplast higher up along the walls.

With babies do not use grids as hay bins either. The safest for any guinea pig is really just a large pile of hay in the cage.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I am wondering is a 2x6 cage from cagetopia big enough for 3 girls? Also should I get a litter box that takes up 1.5 grid space?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I am wondering is a 2x6 cage from cagetopia big enough for 3 girls? Also should I get a litter box that takes up 1.5 grid space?

Technically, yes, it is big enough.

BUT I always say the size of the cage also depends on the personality of the guinea pigs housed in it.

I have one girl who is very territorial. She will charge at any pig that passes by in a 2 grid wide cage, but put her in a cage that is at least 3 grids wide or more and she is fine.

I also suggest a large upper loft (get at least a 2x2 or more to prevent anyone from getting trapped) and 2 ramps is preferable...again to prevent anyone from getting trapped and fighting. This area does wonders for keeping harmony between multiple pigs because we all need alone time now & then!

Just be aware that the bottom level is the main area, so don't skimp here in the hopes that a loft will make up for limited space below.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the advice. My girls right now are not territorial and the are in a Living World XL ( I made a mistake I am fixing it). They never have been even in closed quarters ( Carrier and pet store vacation cage heavily watched over by family taken care of them while I was gone for a week.) Thanks!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the advice. My girls right now are not territorial and the are in a Living World XL ( I made a mistake I am fixing it). They never have been even in closed quarters ( Carrier and pet store vacation cage heavily watched over by family taken care of them while I was gone for a week.) Thanks!

They are definitely going to love the space of a properly sized cage from cagetopia! ...but please don't get a 3rd pig before doing so. I know it is tempting to add another, but please do not until you are prepared with enough space.

How old are your girls now?

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
My plan is to wait for the cage so a little bit. My girls are over a year old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.