Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Anti-Pill Fleece over Puppy Pads for Bedding

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Hi I am wondering if Anti-Pill fleece washed 3 times over unscented puppy pads for bedding in a 13 square feet cage (2x5 CageTopia) would work? I don't want to buy GuineaDad because I have had not the most pleasant experience with GuineaDad fleece liners. I am asking for half of the money for a 2x5 CageTopia cage for my birthday with the 2x5 stand, and the kitchen suite with a bistro kitchen. (No loft). I don't want to use CareFresh for the whole cage because it is super expensive if you add it all up. The measurements are on the CageTopia website.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You have to be careful with the puppy pads, because the pigs will eat them.

If you want really cheap, really effective bedding under fleece, try wood pellets -- the stove kind, not the barbecue kind. Just make sure they have no accelerant added, and no pine odor.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you. My plan is the puppy pads to go under the fleece and find a way to not let the piggies dig under the fleece. Once before when I was injured so bad I could see the piggies and my sister and parents were taking care of them and my sister was too lazy to cover the puppy pads and when I got pictures it didn't look like they chewed them. (Don't worry I am caring for them because my sister dropped out of caring for them even though they are hers too. I got on to her for that and my piggies are good because they went for a checkup and were in perfect health). ( They covered stuff about when I was injured was CareFresh because my family hates doing the fleece.)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
You can also try washable pee pads. That is what I used for my boys before I decided to just buy fleece bedding. If you're getting the normal pee pads you just toss, I wouldn't recommend them as the only bedding. Many pigs love the chew/eat them and obviously that isn't good for them. I only use the regular pee pads under my fleece bedding.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Yes I am using the normal pee pads you just toss under the fleece and I never expose them to my piggies. I will look into the washable pee pads. Thank you so much.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Do you have access to a sewing machine?

Making fleece pads is easy and affordable. Get uhaul pads or zorb for the absorbent layer and sew it between 2 pieces of fleece. You have the ability to make them any size you want and make lots of pee pads for beds & favorite spots.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Thank you I will try that and see prices. Thank you for the idea

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I use washable incontinence bed pads with a sheet of fleece over the top. They absorb liquid and the top layer says dry. I’ve had mine for years. They last a long time as long as you don’t use fabric softener.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Thank you that is better than buying guineadad liners that you have to replace every year and if you have two.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Also, I have used the anti-pill fleece before, but I actually like the plush better. It is a little thicker and has a softer surface so the hay doesn’t stick to it as much.

I don’t know if you sew at all, but I also made some wee pads about the size of placemats to put it the corners. That’s where they usually wee, so it keeps the fleece floor clean longer. I just layer a piece of fleece, a light-weight kitchen towel or microfiber cloth, and then a piece of plain woven fabric like quilt fabric on the bottom. I sew it all together and use the fleece-side up for a wee pad, or the woven-side up to pile hay on it. The hay doesn’t stick to the woven fabric.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Thank you that is better than buying guineadad liners that you have to replace every year and if you have two.
@GuineaPigQueen1, I don't know where you got the idea that you have to replace GuineaDad liners every year. I have had the same four GuineaDad liners for over 3 years now and they work just fine. The liners do shrink though but I helped it along by not reading the instructions and drying it in the sun.

Last edited:

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I got it from Guineadad now realizing that it was a advertising trick thank you.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Is this what you were looking at from the GuineaDad FAQ page? It doesn't look like there is an actual time frame given as to how long the liner will last. Much of it will depend on how well it is maintained.

How long will the liner last? Wash/dry? 10 years, 1 year?

Based on our experience and many customers, the fleece liner can last for well over a year if well maintained. We still use our original prototypes, which are still in great condition after over 2 years.
For the actual stress testing of the product we tested the liner up to 30 washes, but stopped the test because we simply did not see any visible degradation. Please be advised that the correct maintenance is the key, especially staying away from over drying the liner.

Based on our experience and many customers, the fleece liner can last for well over a year if well maintained. We still use our original prototypes, which are still in great condition after over 2 years.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I heard that on YouTube on a video maybe he mistakenly said it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.