Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Fusing Pelvic Bones in guinea pigs when they've been pregnant before

RubyRoseKate

Cavy Gazer
Hi,

I have a two year old female who had a litter of healthy pups at around 6-8 months (unsure of exact age as she was adopted). I'm not planning on her having anymore pups but i was wondering if she has already had a litter does this mean her pelvic bones now won't fuse and cause complications if she ever fell pregnant again? Or do they fuse in a wider position? Any information you guys could give me on this would be fantastic! The reason i'm asking is we're getting our boy neutered and i've heard that there is a tiny risk of boys still being fertile even after the procedure. I don't want to introduce him too early to the girls if there is a risk of her getting pregnant and her pelvic bones being fused risking her life.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I don't really know. I will tag some people that can help you though.

[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION] [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION]

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The male guinea pig will need to be kept separate from females for three to four weeks post op to allow residual sperm to die off.

Guinea pigs pelvic bones don't fuse, the ligaments lose elasticity. As the ligament have been previously stretched from a previous birth the risk of another pregnancy is reduced compared to other females the same age who have not previously birthed. However there are still many potentially life threatening complications that can occur that have nothing to do with the pelvic bones, and even in a sow who has birthed before a very large pup may still become stuck when it comes time to birth.

I wouldn't take the risk with her life and just wait the extra couple of weeks to introduce them, this is also a good period to wait for him as it allows him to be well healed before it comes time for introductions. You wouldn't want him reopening partially healed incisions either.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION] said.

He won't be able to impregnate her if you wait four weeks after the neutering to put them together. But let me reinforce what Soecara said about pregnancies being dangerous even after a sow has had one litter. I'd take every precaution to keep that from happening.

RubyRoseKate

Cavy Gazer
Thank you everyone! Yes i completely want to avoid any unwanted pregnancy, we're getting our lil dude neutered in the next few weeks so i will make sure to keep him separate for 4 weeks afterwards. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.