Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Blood in cage but can't find which pig it's coming from

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I have 3 female guinea pigs. There was no blood in the cage this morning, but after running errands for a few hours I see some blood in the cage. My best guess is blood in the pee, since I can see it's red but it looks thin and diluted, if that makes sense. I've weighed all my guinea pigs and held them from a while to see if I could tell who it was, but after examining them I can't figure out who it is. I am currently washing the spare bedding so I can switch it out and maybe see who it is easier. I am going to keep watching them but I just feel completely helpless right now and have no idea what to do. And it's the weekend so I can't call my vet.

If I figure out who is having the problem, I do have an emergency vet about an hour away that I will take her to, but if I just blindly take all 3 pigs in to the emergency vet then that would be too costly.

Does anything have any thoughts on what it could possibly be and how I can help? I will still be calling my vet Monday or going to an emergency vet if I find out who it might be, but if someone might have some sort of insight in the meantime then that would be helpful!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be either a UTI or a bladder stone. Both, obviously, require a vet visit but a stone is an emergency. If you can figure out who it is quickly, I would take her as soon as I can.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I just went thru this with one of my boar pairs. I was able to narrow it down to a certain pig because they are extremely particular on where they sleep - they each have their own house and never sleep in the other's house. I put lighter colored fleece in their houses and waited for someone to pee. Is there something like that you can go off? I've also read about taking them out one at a time and putting them in a bin or light colored fleece and feeding watery veggies, and waiting for them to pee. The one who pees blood of course would be the culprit.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your replies! After I put them all back in the cage I found the 1 it was, she peed and had the slightest bit of red in it. I'm going to call the emergency vet now. Thanks again!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please keep us updated on how she's doing!

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Please keep us updated on how she's doing!

Thank you for your help. Emergency vet thought UTI so I gave her pain meds and antibiotics for a week. Those meds weren't working so Monday I took her in to my regular vet on Monday and the unfortunately found a very large tumor in her uterus that was causing her extreme pain and there could have been another tumor behind that one. I had to make the horrible decision to put her to sleep so she wasn't in pain anymore. I am so devastated.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss.

Many of us have been in that very same position, to have to make the decision to do the kindest thing you can for them. And it is so very, very painful. It never gets easier, and the only small consolation is knowing that their pain and suffering is ended. And that's usually where ours begins.

She's at the Rainbow Bridge now. Making new friends, eating whatever she wants, and napping in the sun. Pain free and happy.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
My condolences on the loss of your pig. You did the right things for her by identifying the problem and getting medical attention quickly. My heart goes out to you!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing getting her to the vet as quickly as you did. She was obviously a very special pig and you cared for her so well. Take care of yourself.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I am sorry for your loss. It hurts to lose somebody close to you, but you made the right decision by letting her go. She loved you, and you loved her. Watch out for signs, when Pepper, my pug died around Valentine's day this year, I keep getting this notification on my twitter about the book ¨Pig the Pug¨ and of course I bought it. It shows up about daily for some reason. I feel that it is a sign from her that she loves me and that she is watching over me. [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] had a similar situation about a month ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.