Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

My guinea pig is too scared for cagemate

I have a male cavy thatís about one year old that I got from a co-worker. The co-worker gave him away because he was too skittish and afraid of his cagemate. I know guinea pigs are meant to be kept with others so, how would I be able to get him a cagemate heís afraid of everything that moves?

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quoted
    543 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    893 Rec'd/687 Posts

Re: My guinea pig is too scared for cagemate

There are some pigs that just aren't able to be housed with another, for whatever issue. But the ONLY way to know would be to get him a cagemate, and give them time.

Obviously you need to make sure that their living space is adequately sized and if he IS that skittish, the bigger the better. Breaking up sightlines will also help to make him feel like he has his own space and doesn't need to feel so defensive. It COULD also be that his cagemate was too aggressive.

The biggest thing is time. You won't know til you try, and pigs are naturally fearful because they are prey animals.

3. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4065 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,502 Rec'd/5,994 Posts

Are you close enough to a rescue that you could take him in and let him choose his own buddy? Maybe find a spayed female?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    131 Rec'd/125 Posts

In the meantime, try spending more time interacting with him. Say his name, talk to him, give him veggie treats so he starts interacting with you. House him in a busy area so there is activity, just off the kitchen is usually a high traffic area. Try adding a little stuffed animal for him to cuddle by. I have a single female who snuggles with a small stuffed bunny. Just make sure there are no plastic parts like eyes and nose, and no fabric ribbon that could be chewed.

Who knows how he was treated by his former cagemate. He may come out of his shell and enjoy being on his own.

User Tag List