Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My guinea pig is too scared for cagemate

kelice18

Cavy Gazer
I have a male cavy that’s about one year old that I got from a co-worker. The co-worker gave him away because he was too skittish and afraid of his cagemate. I know guinea pigs are meant to be kept with others so, how would I be able to get him a cagemate he’s afraid of everything that moves?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are some pigs that just aren't able to be housed with another, for whatever issue. But the ONLY way to know would be to get him a cagemate, and give them time.

Obviously you need to make sure that their living space is adequately sized and if he IS that skittish, the bigger the better. Breaking up sightlines will also help to make him feel like he has his own space and doesn't need to feel so defensive. It COULD also be that his cagemate was too aggressive.

The biggest thing is time. You won't know til you try, and pigs are naturally fearful because they are prey animals.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you close enough to a rescue that you could take him in and let him choose his own buddy? Maybe find a spayed female?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
In the meantime, try spending more time interacting with him. Say his name, talk to him, give him veggie treats so he starts interacting with you. House him in a busy area so there is activity, just off the kitchen is usually a high traffic area. Try adding a little stuffed animal for him to cuddle by. I have a single female who snuggles with a small stuffed bunny. Just make sure there are no plastic parts like eyes and nose, and no fabric ribbon that could be chewed.

Who knows how he was treated by his former cagemate. He may come out of his shell and enjoy being on his own.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.