Thread: Piggies is skinny and poop is small and teardrop shaped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Unhappy Piggies is skinny and poop is small and teardrop shaped.

My guinea pig, Diva; who used to be bigger than my other guinea pig cookie dough. Dive would eat a ton of food, as she loves to eat! But lately she has been growing skinnier. I try to feed her hay, but she only eats the skinny ones. (She eats the hay when I'm not hand feeding her,but I don't know how much she eats) I've been feeding her more pellets to gain weight, but now she doesn't want to eat it either. So she always wants fruits and veggies now.
    Even her poops have been getting smaller, and she getting lighter. I'm concerned, what do I do? I don't have a vet :(
    (Qlso I don't know how to delete pictures,sorry there's so many)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_201714.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	88107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_201646.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	88108  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_201714.jpg 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	88109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_203014.jpg 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	88110  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_203007.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	88111  
    Last edited by HaydayMayday; 11-02-21 at 06:33 pm.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    595 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    965 Rec'd/748 Posts

Re: Piggies is skinny and poop is small and teardrop shaped.

Not eating hay is a big red flag. If she gets used to eating nothing but "treats" (ie veggies and fruit) She will hold out for them, and stop eating her staples.

Smaller, pointed poops likely mean she is not eating enough. Couple that with the weight loss, and she needs to see a vet ASAP. It could mean any number of things, including dental problems.

You need an exotics vet, not a small animal vet. Small animal means dog and cat, and they are not qualified to diagnose and treat cavies.

Where are you located? Just your city and state, if you're in the U.S. We may be able to help you locate a good vet.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    151 Rec'd/145 Posts

In the meantime you should get a recovery food like Critical Care. It’s made for animals that are ill and need nutrition and calories to keep their weight up. You will probably need to syringe feed unless your guinea pig likes the taste. Sometimes they will eat on their own if they have a little appetite.

But you will need a vet - it is important to keep food moving through the digestive tract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Located in Jersey city!I don't think I should give exact address, (safety reasons) but I've called all the vets closets to me, and they're exotic.. but don't take guineapigs. Im unsure on what to do at this point. Most of the vets I could go to are like 20-30 minutes away, add on with traffic-I don't know if my piggies could hold out that long in a car. Or how much it'll cost just to go back and forth,since I don't have a car..
    Either way,I'm in a bad position, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Ah thanks for the tip! I'm going to go see if I can buy any critical care foods. (Bit poor haha) Hopefully they'll eat it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    85 Rec'd/69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaydayMayday View Post
    Located in Jersey city!I don't think I should give exact address, (safety reasons) but I've called all the vets closets to me, and they're exotic.. but don't take guineapigs. Im unsure on what to do at this point. Most of the vets I could go to are like 20-30 minutes away, add on with traffic-I don't know if my piggies could hold out that long in a car. Or how much it'll cost just to go back and forth,since I don't have a car..
    Either way,I'm in a bad position, haha.
    Your pig should be fine in a car. I take mine to the vet in a cat carrier. I give them a handful of hay as we leave. I try to avoid too hot/cold weather, but they do better in the cold than the hot (have had a pig get heat stroke symptoms after 20 minutes during a car ride in Texas w/ a/c). If it's cold, I cover the cage in blankets. We have taken far too many vet trips since 2020 and every time they've been fine.

Uber has the option to use a pet-friendly driver, or maybe you could even just use a normal Uber. I haven't tried it myself but I know the option exists because I always have a back up plan with my car.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/55 Posts

I don't drive and while looking for a friend for my original piggy, Lily, we went on some 3+ hour round trip shelter visits using Uber, bus, and train. Lily traveled in a small dog carrier with some hay and I also carried small pieces of wet veggies in a zip lock bag. I brought along an extra fleece pad in case the one in the carrier got too wet. I didn't know there are different categories of Ubers so we went in regular Ubers and even in an Uber Pool car.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    151 Rec'd/145 Posts

Guinea pigs transport easily in a small carrier with some hay and wet veggies like lettuce or even a little wet grass.

If you can’t get Critical Care and you happen to have a blender like a smoothie maker, try making a hay smoothie. Blend hay, a little carrot or other fresh veggies, and some pellets with water until you have a smoothie. You can make a cup or more and just refrigerate it, or freeze it in small spoonfuls. I did this with my guinea pig when she was sick and couldn’t seem to eat her hay.

User Tag List