Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Little Bear's ouchie eye

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the update on Little Bear. It sounds like healing well - I hope he continues to do well.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Gimbly is really annoying me this morning...I woke up and he is chasing and humping Little Bear, and rumbling a lot. Little Bear loudly protests. There's no fighting or other aggressive signs. I'm assuming Gimbly will settle down. He usually isn't like this.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You may wish to keep an eye on Little Bear as well. Usually when a pig that's normally docile begins to harass another pig, the pig being picked on may not be feeling well.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Everything seems normal with L Bear for now...running around, begging for food and eating.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I wanted to update again (good news).

Little Bear's behavior has gotten so much more lively. It is really bizarre. I noticed him wheeking more last week. I talk and sing to the pigs a lot, and L Bear started to respond and just wheek more and louder than usual. He always had a quiet voice. Now he is getting louder. At first it was weird because he has never had a loud wheek. Now he's getting better with being loud and wheeks whenever he has an excuse. When he hears me, he gets excited and wheeks and comes to look for me. He seems more energetic too and loves running around outside the cage (all the other pigs hate it). It's weird to see such a sudden shift but I love how peppy and talkative he is. Maybe now that his eye is gone and healed, he's feeling a lot better.

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't even tell you how happy this makes me feel. I do believe it's because he's feeling better, he's got a buddy he loves, and he's much more comfortable in his surroundings.

This is all because of you. This is what I call the fruits of all your labour. Little Bear finally has the life he deserves with you. My only sadness is that Bruin did not get to enjoy the same.

Bless you for giving Little Bear, Gimbly, Chico and Amigo a great life.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
That’s wonderful! He must be a happy piggy and feeling good. Those piggies of yours are so lucky.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I forgot to mention I caught him sleeping out in the open twice. He always goes in a house to sleep, so seeing him sleeping out in the open by the water bottles was pretty shocking. All my other pigs started to sleep in the open pretty quickly, aside from Little Bear.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I woke up and Little Bear was dead. I had a sneaking feeling he would. He acted very happy and normal lately but he's gone. Gimbly is acting normal. I'll adopt asap. I feel fine now but once he goes to work for ashes I'll cry.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@4boipigs ,

I am so sorry. I don't really have any words. You put everything into his care since you found he and Bruin.

I only know this: the last year of his life is what he will remember. He will take that love and care that you gave him, and carry it to the Rainbow Bridge. Little Bear had a life because of you.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I had a feeling something was up because he suddenly felt very light the last 2 days...but I didn't weigh him. And he's already light enough at a whole 1.5lb. Gimbly is getting along fine right now, eating and came over for treats. I just don't want him to get as stressed a L Bear did last year (with seizures) from being alone. I already put in a new adoption application at the local rescue. There's tons of cute pigs at shelters too, but I don't know if they'll let me do my own bonding there or what to try. I would mind another shelter pig since they've all been there for quite some time, and personally I feel shelters suck at pig care.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know you'll do right for Gimbly. No question there. It was likely quick for Little Bear, and if so it's a mercy he deserved. Going to miss reading about him and how he's been doing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. You've worked so hard for him and given him such good care.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
So sorry to read this. It sounds like Little Bear was feeling good and of course you were taking such good care of him. Now you need to take care of yourself. I'm glad you're looking at getting another guinea pig, who will be so fortunate to have such a good home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.