Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Little Bear's ouchie eye

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
His eye is back to having a lot of build up. It is red around his iris. Need to make a follow up appt for him but my work schedule is screwy.

What's a good way to wipe the gunk off? He isn't tolerating a wet tissue.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Ok to update instead of a new thread...either Gimbly or Little Bear is producing a LOT of 'boar glue'. I've picked it off from inside their houses maybe 3 or 4 times now. I haven't noticed it with Chico and Amigo yet. Can't wait to take Little Bear to his follow up appointment!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ok to update instead of a new thread...either Gimbly or Little Bear is producing a LOT of 'boar glue'. I've picked it off from inside their houses maybe 3 or 4 times now. I haven't noticed it with Chico and Amigo yet. Can't wait to take Little Bear to his follow up appointment!

Punkin and Scooter used to do this as well. Leo never has and now recently, Simon has started doing the same thing. Actually had a dollop on the end of his nose the other day and I was particularly concerned because it appeared to be blocking a nostril. He didn't appear to have any trouble breathing so I left it, and within 48 hours he had it removed himself. It's a pain.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Boar glue is a pain... I had to cut off a little of Oreo´s fur because there was a big patch of boar glue, and I couldn´t get it out with wipes. I left it for a week before cutting the fur, and it was still there.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
So we haven't been back to the vet since my dog decided he'd like to overdose on his arthritis meds and cost me an ER trip. Little Bear's eye is one day very gunky and the next day it will be perfectly clear. I'm still okay giving him eye drops every day and he's totally used to it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you for the update. Hopefully your dog is ok?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Thank you for the update. Hopefully your dog is ok?

My dog is fine and dandy. Luckily his meds have a very low toxicity. He would have needed to eat 60 pills to have problems. He ate 30.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My dog is fine and dandy. Luckily his meds have a very low toxicity. He would have needed to eat 60 pills to have problems. He ate 30.

What a scare. Glad he's ok!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I'm a little worried about Gimbly. I'm pretty sure he is the one having pointy poop. I woke up to a lot of it. He's had it on and off since I got him in Dec 2020, but there was so much overnight. It doesn't help that my dog ate their probiotics, so they won't have any til Tuesday. Not sure if it could be from too much veggies or not. I haven't fed them much more than I normally do.

He's also trying to get in Little Bear's rear, much like Bruin did when antibiotics messed with his tummy. The vet gave us probiotics then and it really helped fix that.

Gimbly hasn't been to the vet since I got him.

Otherwise, nothing has changed with him...but Bruin also acted 'normal' despite heart failure.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My pigs also occasionally get pointy poop. Especially Simon. Too much veggies could definitely do it however. The two boys I have now get far less veggies than any of my previous pigs. They get a bowl of varied veggies to share at around 7pm, and they each get a generous slice of bell pepper every morning. Once or twice a week they will get a baby carrot, or a slice of cucumber.

I learned my lesson with Sly. While I can't be sure I was the cause of his dental issues by feeding him too much veggies (Pooper got the same and never developed a dental issue) I can't rule it out either.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The same thing happens with Lacey if she gets extra veggies, or if she's playing with the water bottle and drinking more than usual.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I mentioned somewhere in here that I find boar glue a lot. This is it, right? It came right off and felt like rubber.
20210420_135948.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep that's it.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Here is how I find Little Bear sometimes. Today he was asleep in his green house (where he always sleeps - he never sleeps in the open like the others). Can never really tell if he's dead when he's laying on his side. I removed the house and no reaction. I waved my hand over him and gave him a nudge and after a few seconds he finally came back to life. He was twitching like he was dreaming.

[video=youtube_share;CeNK2tdz5js]https://youtu.be/CeNK2tdz5js [/video]

(Not sure if that video will work?)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He seems like such a sweet little guy. All of my pigs at some point or other would sleep with their eyes closed. Punkin always would. Sly would dream but I would never see it, and then one day I did. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen.

Punkin was a heavy sleeper and I was concerned that he might have had a heart issue. Sadly he didn't get to have the long life I was hoping he would, but not due to a heart issue.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Everything's still fine. Wondering about Gimbly tho (who has yet to have his first vet visit still). I give them benebac every day, because Gimbly will go after Little Bear's butt. Little Bear will protest and run off. Gimbly follows, but stops when Little Bear goes inside a house. Both of their poops look fine though. I don't think I've seen Gimbly eating LBear's poop either. I try to compare what Gimbly is doing to Bruin when he was on all his meds (before probiotics) - he would endlessly chase Little Bear to the point of L Bear crying and he would eat L Bear's poop. It improved after he was on the antibiotics. But that was a powder we got from the vet.

Little Bear is so much fun. He will get hyper and race around the cage like a crazy pig. Gimbly never does this. He will often be trying to sleep while LBear is doing laps. Gimbly gets upset because L Bear won't calm down.

Gimbly is pictured. He's large! I make fun of him being fat, but I don't think he is.

186897562_123203933140141_7929149639084520016_n.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Gimbly is so adorable, he reminds me a bit of my Leo!

I can't even tell you how happy I am to hear that Little Bear is doing so well. Their story had the worst of beginnings and sadly even though Bruin was lost, Little Bear was saved. And that's because of you.

Cherish them both for as long as you have them, and know that Little Bear being happy and healthy and having a great home is all because of you.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I dropped Amigo today. I was lowering him into the cage and he bolted too soon. I tried to catch him but he landed on the top of the cage (which is grids tied together). It was a foot at most. He seems to be fine but I still worry. This is him before bed, testing my new phone camera.

20210518_192821.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Poor Amigo!

If he seems fine he probably is, but I know that doesn't make it easier. Just keep an eye on him and if something seems amiss, head him in for a checkup.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It took a while, but I trained my guinea pigs not to jump out of my hands into the cage. I'd hold them with both hands just above the cage, but not put them down until they quit wriggling and struggling. Most of them learned fairly quickly, but I thought one would never learn.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.