Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Little Bear's ouchie eye

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Woke up to blood in Little Bear and Gimbly's cage. Assuming someone is peeing blood. No clue who. Secretly hoping it is LBear so I don't have to pay for Gimbly and more meds. Need to find out who is the culprit.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't seem to be catching a break here. I feel so bad for you, and for them.

Were you able to determine which one it is? Or if the blood was from urine?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
You don't seem to be catching a break here. I feel so bad for you, and for them.

Were you able to determine which one it is? Or if the blood was from urine?

They did get carrots last night which apparently can color their pee, but this was the same red that Amigo had. I checked them both and no one has wounds. They don't have designated spots they are dedicated to like Chico and Amigo. My best bet would be if Gimbly pees in the hay, because he loves burrowing and sleeping in it. LBear claims the big igloo, and there's a lot of blood in there. But there's also Gimbly poop in there (being so small, LBear has tiny poop compared to Gimbly). Someone peed right after I came home and it was normal...it was by Gimbly's big poops so maybe it was him. In other words, I have no clue.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I just fed Little Bear from a saucer and there is blood in the Emeraid. The doctor checked his mouth the other day. So idk if it is his mouth or nose. He won't let me look.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh man. I know it sounds trite but you really need to try and get a good look
Do you have an extra pair of hands that can help hold him?

Considering his eye problem and the proximity to his nose I would almost be willing to bet his nose is bleeding.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
20210314_192122.jpg

Here is what I found. He is eating fine and able to eat his vitamin c cookies and hard carrots. The red of course is the blood.

I'll look in the morning. He just got a lot of handling for his food, meds, eye drops and weight (no change in weight).

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
LBear seems fine today. Didn't see any blood on his face or nose. Acting normal.

He really hates the eye drops and paws at his eye after I give them. Hope they aren't hurting. The white discharge builds up but his eye looks better with these drops 3 times a day.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
LBear seems fine today. Didn't see any blood on his face or nose. Acting normal.

He really hates the eye drops and paws at his eye after I give them. Hope they aren't hurting. The white discharge builds up but his eye looks better with these drops 3 times a day.

Some drops can sting a bit right after applying. I would wrap my pig in a towel, do the drops and keep their feet carefully tucked in the towel so she couldn't paw her eye. I would give her some cilantro sprigs (never met a pig who didn't love cilantro) to keep her mind off it for a few minutes until the irritation subsided and she'd forget all about it.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Some drops can sting a bit right after applying. I would wrap my pig in a towel, do the drops and keep their feet carefully tucked in the towel so she couldn't paw her eye. I would give her some cilantro sprigs (never met a pig who didn't love cilantro) to keep her mind off it for a few minutes until the irritation subsided and she'd forget all about it.

I decided to make his Emeraid, give him the eyedrops, and then immediately place him in front of the food bowl. Seems to have worked.

161577609_3813535988732607_8433439072494521295_o.jpg

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
He is such a handsome guy!! Love that hair and coloring!

I hope he is better soon. Well wishes are being sent from me and my herd.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll second that! Nice to see him eating, and myself and my herd continue to send him our well wishes. Little Bear certainly now knows what it's like to be loved and cared for instead of dumped.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Look at him go! I third that! ;) I am happy to see improvement, keep us updated, please. :)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The last few times I made Emeraid, I noticed the red in it similar to the pic posted. This was straight from the package, new plate and mixer. There has been no cross contamination. Maybe LBear wasn't bleeding??? I haven't seen blood in the cage since then either. Maybe Emeraid is reacting to something.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You mean the red is in there BEFORE Little Bear gets to it? Definitely not bleeding from Little Bear then.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Someone DID bleed all over the cage for sure the other day...that I know is a fact. However I have seen no more blood in the cage. Not sure about the red in the Emeraid. The first time I thought maybe I hadn't cleaned his stuff well. Today I was using all new everything and was in the kitchen when I saw it.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
LBear has apparently gotten used to the eye drops. He will let me angle his head and put the drops in without a fuss. If he will be this easy, then I rather continue this treatment instead of removing his eye.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Here is Little Bear's eye. Looks much better. Like I said I rather just give eye drops at this point than remove it. The white is his cataract which he has always had.

20210323_184041.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here is Little Bear's eye. Looks much better. Like I said I rather just give eye drops at this point than remove it. The white is his cataract which he has always had.

View attachment 87741

Definitely looking better. What a handsome little man!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
One thing I forgot to mention. We are almost out of the Emeraid. I'm down to the last couple servings. Amazon doesn't have herbivore Oxbow or Emeraid. Since no one appears to be critical anytime soon, maybe I could just get the 'Sustain' for Little Bear instead? I have no idea if Emeraid is only sold by vets...there is NO way I am returning to the vet I got the Emeraid from before. Our normal vet does sell Oxbow if needed, but inflated vet prices aren't on my to-do list.

I would like to keep him on it for a bit, since he's been running around like a little psycho shortly afterwards. L Bear just zooms around the cage everywhere he can, while Gimbly is trying to sleep.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
His eye definitely looks better so if the drops are easy to use, I would just continue as long as he is comfortable.

The EmerAid Sustain looks like a good product and the website says it’s a complete balanced meal. You can order from their website but you’ll pay shipping. Another option might be a slurry of pellets crushed and mixed with water.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.