Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Little Bear's ouchie eye

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The vet doesn't have our results yet, so they're checking on that. The doctor says everything is great aside from a tiny spot where the skin didn't heal so they had to glue it. As long as that stays sealed, I hope we don't have to go back for a very long time.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The vet called us and said that the histopathology came back with cataracts (obviously) and a (I think he said congenital) corneal disease. Overall nothing scary like cancer.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I needed to hear some good news today. Thank you for the update [MENTION=46209]4boipigs[/MENTION]!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The vet doesn't have our results yet, so they're checking on that. The doctor says everything is great aside from a tiny spot where the skin didn't heal so they had to glue it. As long as that stays sealed, I hope we don't have to go back for a very long time.

So that spot must have come open because there is some drainage. Little Bear is acting fine but I'm pretty sure that spot is open. I work til Tuesday and idk if my vet at work can handle this so I will try to call off work or something. Idk how long Little Bear can go like that

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I emailed some pics to the vet and they are going to prescribe some drops for him. And they want a follow up with the doctor who did the surgery (who is like their head vet). He isn't in pain, no swelling, smell or anything. I'll pick up the meds here soon.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I think I found the issue. There's a piece of suture left in the upper corner where he is having issues. It is blue like the stitches, but faded, so I'm assuming it is leftover stitches.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably a reasonable assumption. Hopefully you can get him looked after quick!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Probably a reasonable assumption. Hopefully you can get him looked after quick!

We have an appt Tuesday. The doctor offered a quick spot on Saturday but I turned it down and just picked up meds, as I didn't expect sutures to be left over. I really hope all they have to do is pull that piece out and be done. Otherwise all is well. I'm just worried about it.

It was suggested to do the appt with the vet who did the surgery (she owns the place too) so that's who we'll see.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The spot that was open after the sutures came out was the area that was open again. It doesn't look too bad after it was cleaned up. We're supposed to continue the eye drops, and continue w/ orbax to prevent infection. They don't think gluing the area will do any good. They explained pigs have shallow sockets, thin skin in the area, and the tension from gluing would just open it again.

Of course Little Bear is fine otherwise.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The area is closing up but there is still some discharge. Otherwise Little Bear seems fine. The rest of the incision that didn't have problems looks like it's all healed up already. One day soon I hope I can finally stop giving him meds...

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Something that's been bothering me about Little Bear - he's been getting tons of poop on his front feet for a while. Recently, I am finding poop around his mouth and stuck to his nose. I pick up poop 2 times a day or more. No one else has poop stuck to them, and their cages aren't dirty. It just started around the time he got his eye removed. Relation maybe? Now I'm having to pick poop off him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are his poops softer than normal? Occasionally my boys get poop on their feet, but not always. Perhaps now that he's feeling better he is more active?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he maybe trying to get poop from a cage mate?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Are his poops softer than normal? Occasionally my boys get poop on their feet, but not always. Perhaps now that he's feeling better he is more active?

His poop seems fine....but Gimbly is having soft poop again. I thought it was from veggies, but they haven't had many veggies (if any at all) the past few days because I need to go shopping. Just hay and pellets. I'll be ordering more BeneBac for both of them. Gimbly is the only one like this.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe Gimbly could benefit from a dose of flagyl.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Maybe Gimbly could benefit from a dose of flagyl.

If benebac doesn't help (usually does), then he'll have to see the vet. I ran out of Benebac and haven't given it for a while, but he did have it regularly. Yesterday was a mix of normal poop and mushy poop.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Update on Gimbly - the soft poop has resolved yet again. If it occurs again, then he'll have to see the vet. Can guinea pigs have various complicated GI issues like cats and dogs? One of Gimbly's triggers seems to be veggies. All the other pigs are fine with the amount I feed, but sometimes it triggers the soft poop. As a result I feed Little Bear and Gimbly slightly less veggies than Chico and Amigo.

His poop doesn't smell, but its very big, clumpy, and wet/sticky. Sometimes there's formed pellets, sometimes it's mushy pellets, other times it's just a mushy pile. It isn't liquidy. A few times it appears like a dark green, but that's not often. As he got better, there was more normal pellets and less mushy. I know it's definitely him because he's twice the size of Little Bear and has big pellets compared to LBear.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wonder if maybe he doesn't do the same thing Simon does. For awhile I though Simon had gut issues.

Turns out, he just likes to lie in the same place and nap, pooping and peeing as he snoozes. If he's walking around his poops are fine, but if he's lying down pooping and then pees on all the poops, I get the same issue you do.

Simon is one of the biggest poopmonsters I've ever seen. Leo's poops are more often than not twice the size of Simon's, since he outweighs him by a full pound.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The area is closing up but there is still some discharge. Otherwise Little Bear seems fine. The rest of the incision that didn't have problems looks like it's all healed up already. One day soon I hope I can finally stop giving him meds...

Update on this, the area eventually closed and still had drainage while doing so. The area is now closed with no issues that I can see. The area is sunken in and the fur hasn't grown back 100% yet. So hopefully that will be the last of the eye adventure.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So glad to hear his (and your) ordeal with this is almost over. I hope you guys have plenty of happy and healthy time left together!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.