Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Pig is behaving VERY oddly. Want to know if someone else has seen this. (Long read)

amassey

Cavy Slave
Okay, an odd story (also long) that requires background information to fully appreciate.

1. Sid and Chewie are 2 of our boars that have lived together since they were babies. Chewie was boss pig from day 1 and Sid generally accepted this. After about 18 months of mostly cordial living, the two got into a huge fight and drew blood. We separated them, tried to reunite, but it didn’t work. Now they live side by side in individual 2x4 C&C cages with the long side being shared so they can still talk and interact with each other. This has been going well.
  2. It was around the time of their big fight that Sid became especially hormonal. He has started humping a little pillow in his cage. He cannot be on a matt that has had any other pigs on it before him, or he sniffs and makes an angry wheek noise like crazy. Also, if I have held another pig before him and he smells it, he will spray me. Sid has always slightly preferred me to my boyfriend, but now it is much more pronounced. When Sid and Chewie fought, I was dumb and put my hand in to break up the fight. Sid bit me pretty bad and I yelped. Justin was able to separate them safely and grab Sid who was then trying to get to me. I held him and he began nuzzling and licking me. Ever since then, there have been random times (I haven’t noticed any trigger) where he just gets so needy for my attention specifically. He will wheek at the bars until I come over and put my hands down and he will jump into my arms and begin nuzzling and licking me. I cuddle him for a few minutes and he will be fine. If I can’t hold him when he wants he will climb on top of his house, attempt to get onto the roof of his lookout, and try to get out of his cage to get to me. We moved the flat topped Space house away from that spot so he couldn’t climb on top of it and instead put the Kaytee fiddlesticks there.

Okay, now the story. The other day, Sid wanted attention but I was helping Justin clip nails for our other pigs. I walked back in and low and behold, Sid is in Chewie’s cage! The only way I can imagine this happened if he climbed on top of the fiddlesticks, walked across the roofs of the lookouts (Chewie also has one), and jumped down into Chewie’s cage via his Space house. They were chattering at each other and as soon as he saw me, Sid jumped into my hands. I moved the sticks and am hoping he can’t get up again. I don’t think he intended on going into Chewie’s cage, but instead was trying to get out to find me and just found himself there accidentally.

I am wondering if anyone has ever seen this behavior in their own pigs. I have scanned the internet, but have found very little. I attached a photo of the cages with arrows of what I think happened.

Attachments

WIN_20210211_07_37_43_Pro_LI.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.