Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Gp completely eating coroplast

The Pigs

Cavy Slave
been a hot minute since i posted on this forum lmao
I have a 4x1 c&c cage (with an upper floor) and my guinea pigs completely eat the coroplast. What can i do to help this?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
my guinea pigs completely eat the coroplast. What can i do to help this?

It seems completely random.....some will show little interest in coroplast, and others become obsessed with it. I generally have had cavies who don't have much interest until now. Rascal chews on the coroplast to get my attention.....even though it may be negative attention such as obsessively chewing it when trying to get my attention. If he is hungry, then he will chew to get my attention and perhaps feed him a snack. If I swat him and sternly say "no", it only deters him for a minute or two and then he is right back at it.

Of course, if I give him the requested snack, he will eat and go take a nap for a while and stop begging. Their cage sits alongside my desk and I can't get away from the noise. He comes over to the side of the cage next to me and waits for me to notice him.Today I decided to ignore him and the gnawing just increased in intensity. I then put a towel over the side of the cage so that he couldn't see me and after a while he seemed to give up.

I have never found anything that will deter the chewing. I've wiped the favorite areas with some pretty awful tasting potions, none of which would be poisonous to him.......nothing worked. The only deterrent that I know is to put binder edging along all exposed edges. I didn't do this when rebuilding the cage and it can be a little difficult to do after the coro "box" is created and all exposed edges covered. The binder edging is a harder plastic and they quickly give up when they encounter it. I put it all over the ramp edges, but none over the exposed edges of the coro "box" which is 6" high. I plan to redo that part of the cage when I refurbish it. I wouldn't recommend using the binder spines which are only 12" long and a much softer plastic.

I obtained my longer, heavier spines from a Michael's Craft Store. They are marketed as poster hangars and are 24" in length. They are a bit difficult to put on if a structure already has the ends joined. The easiest is to thread it along all exposed edges and THEN join those edges together.

Poster hangarsS.jpg

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Did you mean to post 1x4, or did you mean 2x4? A 1x4 cage is a very skinny cage, not really big enough to house one pig, much less more than one. If this is the case, the pigs are probably chewing because they're cramped.

The Pigs

Cavy Slave
2x4 is what i meant god almighty i hate autocorrect now i need to check my posts for that mistake xd

The Pigs

Cavy Slave
Oh, never even knew those existed til now XD. Good idea, i'll buy them when possible but for now im covering it with fleece till i can save some money

Guinea_Wiggles

Cavy Gazer
been a hot minute since i posted on this forum lmao
I have a 4x1 c&c cage (with an upper floor) and my guinea pigs completely eat the coroplast. What can i do to help this?

I have a 4x2 C&C cage too for my two piggies.:) Mine do the same thing to their coroplast the second I turn my back to them. I suggest placing a cloth over the area that they are focusing on, this way it helps to distract them from the area. I also found you can get nibble guards like these, https://kaveecage.net/collections/w...s/nibble-guards-coroplast-chewing-nibble-cage where you can place them over the coroplast edge. I've had to do that for the long term as my piggies are chew happy :eek: Hope that helps!:eek::eek:

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
Don't use coroplast, use plexiglass. Not only will it last forever, but you can actually SEE your pigs. 001.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.