Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Snickers Medical Thread

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I have a question... my guinea pig is 7 years old and was diagnosed with overgrown back teeth (molars). My vet said it would be high risk for her to have dental procedure done at her age. She is currently not eating or drinking on her own. I syringe feed her and syringe her water. I’m currently giving her 35-40ml of critical care each feeding plus water in between. Problem is I work all day so it’s not possible for me to feed her during the day just morning and when I get home. I feel terrible leaving her without food/water for so long. I don’t know what to do at this point. She is also being given Metacam once a day and Metoclopramide twice a day.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Teeth problems won't fix themselves -- they only get worse and worse. Overgrown molars can trap the tongue, preventing the pig from swallowing, and they then starve to death.

It's true that anesthesia is tricky in guinea pigs, and more so in elderly ones. But the anesthesia for a tooth planing is not as bad as for abdominal surgery, for example. She might come through it just fine.

Was this an exotic vet who told you this? And did they take top and side skull x-rays to diagnose her? Not even all exotic vets have experience with rodent dentistry, but there should be plenty of exotic vets in NJ that do. I'd want to find the best one around and get another opinion.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you and Snickers have to go through this. I've had my fair share of the position you're in.

My boy Sly, who was a senior when his malocclusion troubles started (he was 5) endured 11 of the surgeries that Snickers now requires. While it IS true that anesthesia is a risk no matter the age of the pig and particularly a senior, Sly went through each and every one of them with little trouble. The not being able to feed her during the day if she needs it is troubling, but if you definitely feed her morning and as soon as you come home she should be ok. Sly was always up and around eating on his own almost immediately after the procedure.

Bear in mind that the procedure, as [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] stated, is nowhere near as invasive or as long as another surgery. They are literally out as long as they need to be (5-10 mins most times) and that's it.

But also as previously stated, it is an emergency. She needs the surgery regardless and if she doesn't get it she will suffer a slow, and painful demise. She has been your faithful companion this long and now she needs you the most.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Thank you for reassuring me that it is a risk but not as bad as i had thought. At first i wasnt going to put her through the procedure but the more i think about it, i feel i will feel so guilty for not trying to help her. Her front teeth need to be trimmed, so i am going to start there. My vet said it was a 30 minute procedure..... i wonder if they could do short procedures...for example 5-10 minutes and fix the left side which is the worst, and then go back for another visit to do the right side...do you think this would be possible??

I'm so sorry you and Snickers have to go through this. I've had my fair share of the position you're in.

My boy Sly, who was a senior when his malocclusion troubles started (he was 5) endured 11 of the surgeries that Snickers now requires. While it IS true that anesthesia is a risk no matter the age of the pig and particularly a senior, Sly went through each and every one of them with little trouble. The not being able to feed her during the day if she needs it is troubling, but if you definitely feed her morning and as soon as you come home she should be ok. Sly was always up and around eating on his own almost immediately after the procedure.

Bear in mind that the procedure, as @bpatters stated, is nowhere near as invasive or as long as another surgery. They are literally out as long as they need to be (5-10 mins most times) and that's it.

But also as previously stated, it is an emergency. She needs the surgery regardless and if she doesn't get it she will suffer a slow, and painful demise. She has been your faithful companion this long and now she needs you the most.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Yes this was an exotic vet. They didn't do xrays this time around but my previous vet had done the xrays of the different angles of the skull. The vet i currently go to is in NY...I drive almost an hour to get to them.

Teeth problems won't fix themselves -- they only get worse and worse. Overgrown molars can trap the tongue, preventing the pig from swallowing, and they then starve to death.

It's true that anesthesia is tricky in guinea pigs, and more so in elderly ones. But the anesthesia for a tooth planing is not as bad as for abdominal surgery, for example. She might come through it just fine.

Was this an exotic vet who told you this? And did they take top and side skull x-rays to diagnose her? Not even all exotic vets have experience with rodent dentistry, but there should be plenty of exotic vets in NJ that do. I'd want to find the best one around and get another opinion.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I also have one other question....I was giving both my guinea pigs the Oxbow Vitamin C tablets daily...however with Snickers not currently eating on her own i was wondering if there is a liquid vitamin C that i could give her for the time being, i just feel that she needs to be getting her vitamin C somehow. I tried wetting the tablets and giving them to her that way she only eats about half and thats it. Could i just use liquid vitamin C from the store and just ask the vet how much of it to give??

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get liquid vitamin C drops from most pet stores. Oasis Vitamin C drops are the ones to get.

DO NOT just have her front teeth trimmed. Only have her molars done. Trimming her front teeth really never needs to be done unless they are horribly bad, and having her molars done will help her straighten her incisors out on her own. Just doing the front teeth will do nothing to help her, and in fact may make it even worse if she wants to eat and can't pick anything up.

Here is a link to my boy Sly's thread. You can read a little about his almost 2 year journey through his dental problems. It may help you understand what you're up against.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/114592-Sly-s-Medical-Thread?highlight=Sly's+medical

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION]. Do NOT just have her front teeth trimmed. Except in extremely rare instances, problems with the front teeth are actually caused by problems with the back teeth, and if you don't fix the back teeth, you might as well do nothing. Fixing the back teeth will straighten out the front teeth.

And don't let the vet trim her front teeth after working on the back teeth. If her front teeth are too short, she won't be able to pick up her food, and then you'll have to hand feed her every few hours.

It's safer for them to do all the work at once rather than have multiple sessions of anesthesia.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Is it possible to have back teeth done under a bit of gas rather than full GA? Also.... my vet said the whole procedure takes about 30 minutes this sounds long to me.

Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa. Do NOT just have her front teeth trimmed. Except in extremely rare instances, problems with the front teeth are actually caused by problems with the back teeth, and if you don't fix the back teeth, you might as well do nothing. Fixing the back teeth will straighten out the front teeth.

And don't let the vet trim her front teeth after working on the back teeth. If her front teeth are too short, she won't be able to pick up her food, and then you'll have to hand feed her every few hours.

It's safer for them to do all the work at once rather than have multiple sessions of anesthesia.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Is it possible to have back teeth done under a bit of gas rather than full GA? Also.... my vet said the whole procedure takes about 30 minutes this sounds long to me.
Typically it is done under gas anesthesia and they wake up as soon as they are taken off the gas. 30 minutes sounds about right.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You have a hard decision to make. Your choices are: 1) tooth planing under general anesthesia; 2) letting her starve to death; or 3) euthanasia. I'm sorry that's the case, and it's not an easy decision to make, by any means.

Starving her would be off the table for me. That leaves tooth planing, which might kill her, and euthanasia, which definitely would. I know which I'd go for, but you'll have to decide. Please do something fairly soon -- this isn't something you should let drag on.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I am clearly aware of my choices there’s no reason to be so cruel about it... I’m having a hard enough time without the cruel words. Btw I’m having her back teeth done Wednesday afternoon. I would never let her or any animal starve to death and I couldn’t get myself to put her down unless it’s absolutely my last option.

You have a hard decision to make. Your choices are: 1) tooth planing under general anesthesia; 2) letting her starve to death; or 3) euthanasia. I'm sorry that's the case, and it's not an easy decision to make, by any means.

Starving her would be off the table for me. That leaves tooth planing, which might kill her, and euthanasia, which definitely would. I know which I'd go for, but you'll have to decide. Please do something fairly soon -- this isn't something you should let drag on.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
In all of your experiences what are the chances of a bad outcome during dental procedure for senior piggy?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sure [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] will chime in here too. But as I stated earlier, Sly had 11 of them. Some went smoother than others, but he always came out ok. They HAVE to warn you that the anesthetic may cause a problem, because it's a possibility. People have the same problem. But if I were in your shoes, I'd already have booked the procedure. Because some chance is better than no chance at all, and if she doesn't have the procedure she has exactly no chance.

Doing nothing in my eyes is not an option.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I agree. Procedure is booked for Wednesday afternoon.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I agree. Procedure is booked for Wednesday afternoon.
I am very glad to hear that. Let us know how she does, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Guineapigs32, I wasn't being mean. But you didn't seem like you understood the seriousness of the situation. You kept hesitating about it, and suggesting things that really wouldn't help. I just wanted to make sure, for the guinea pig's sake, that you knew how serious it is.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am clearly aware of my choices there’s no reason to be so cruel about it... I’m having a hard enough time without the cruel words. Btw I’m having her back teeth done Wednesday afternoon. I would never let her or any animal starve to death and I couldn’t get myself to put her down unless it’s absolutely my last option.

I completely missed this reply, or I would also have stated that @bpatters wasn't trying to be mean. It DID seem to a degree that you were having trouble making your mind up as to what to do, and I think all she was doing was trying to get you to understand that in a situation like this time is critical. With being unable to eat due to her teeth, if her tongue is trapped and she can't swallow she has roughly less than a day left to live with no food.

Our primary focus here is the pigs. We all love the furry critters and want nothing but the best for them, and unfortunately sometimes we get new members that, even though they are here looking for help, they don't seem to place the same value on their lives that we do. I'm NOT saying that was you, but it is something we experience.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My Guinea pigs tongue is not currently trapped she eats and swallows her critical care, fruit and veggies cut up just fine. I would never let any animal starve to death that is so wrong. I’m just really scared. I wasn’t being hesitant I was just asking questions isn’t that what this forum is for? I know this is the only way she will have a chance. She’s having procedure done on Wednesday afternoon. How long does it normally take after the procedure for them to wake up from anesthesia? The vet is almost an hour away so I’ll be waiting in the parking lot at the vets

I completely missed this reply, or I would also have stated that @bpatters wasn't trying to be mean. It DID seem to a degree that you were having trouble making your mind up as to what to do, and I think all she was doing was trying to get you to understand that in a situation like this time is critical. With being unable to eat due to her teeth, if her tongue is trapped and she can't swallow she has roughly less than a day left to live with no food.

Our primary focus here is the pigs. We all love the furry critters and want nothing but the best for them, and unfortunately sometimes we get new members that, even though they are here looking for help, they don't seem to place the same value on their lives that we do. I'm NOT saying that was you, but it is something we experience.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My Guinea pigs tongue is not currently trapped she eats and swallows her critical care, fruit and veggies cut up just fine. I would never let any animal starve to death that is so wrong. I’m just really scared. I wasn’t being hesitant I was just asking questions isn’t that what this forum is for? I know this is the only way she will have a chance. She’s having procedure done on Wednesday afternoon. How long for s it normally take after the procedure for them to wake up from anesthesia? The vet is almost an hour away so I’ll be waiting in the parking lot at the vets

I understand completely. And I didn't mean to come across as suggesting that you WOULD let her starve to death. As for being scared......boy, I know exactly what you are feeling.

What you haven't experienced (thankfully) is how fast this type of problem can go bad. That's where our sense of urgency is born from. That's all. This forum is absolutely all about asking questions and getting the best advice you can. And that's exactly what we're trying to do.

When Sly went in for his molar planings, it was under different circumstances. We weren't dealing with a pandemic then. We would drop him off at the vet at 9am, and we could usually pick him up around 5. Our vet liked to do the surgery by noon, and then he would have the afternoon to observe him and make sure he was ok.

So that's all the information I can give you regarding that. I would say, prepare for a long wait. It's going to be upsetting. Take some food, water, and a tablet or a book. Also, our vet always told us to bring some of their favourite veggie treats and hay. Perhaps a cooler bag with an ice pack will help keep the veggies in good shape for when she is brought back out to you.

It was always a long, stressful day. Sly had 11 of these, Punkin had at least one and I believe maybe two. Scooter had at least two as well, so I've been through this. It never got easier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.