Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    280 Rec'd/191 Posts

Re: Snickers Medical Thread

Donít know if Iím going to get yelled at for this suggestion or not, hopefully not.

I have seen several rescue people who have talked about trimming the molars without putting them out. It is more difficult and requires someone familiar with the procedure. I tried to look up the name of the method but didnít find it right away and canít continue to look right now but I will try to find it in a little bit.

You can check LA Guinea Pig rescue because I know Saskia has it in several of her videos. She has trained on it and has a video of her trimming some back molars. Something to check into now so you have the info if the problem reoccurs.

Best of luck to you!
    Using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,525 Rec'd/6,013 Posts

My main hesitation about a molar trim without anesthesia is that the pig is MAJORLY stressed out. For an elderly pig, that would probably be more dangerous than anesthesia.

It is possible to trim the incisors without anesthesia. That has to be done frequently for pigs with wonky teeth -- I've known of several lethal whites that had to have their incisors trimmed frequently because they either just grew in crooked, or the pig didn't have molars that hit well enough to keep the incisors trimmed down. But that's a far different thing than tying a pig's mouth open and holding it still enough to grind the molars down without hitting the cheek, gums or tongue. I can't imagine any circumstances in which I think that's better than anesthesia.

@barbaramudge, I can't find a dental video of any kind at LAGPR website. Do you have a link?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    280 Rec'd/191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    My main hesitation about a molar trim without anesthesia is that the pig is MAJORLY stressed out. For an elderly pig, that would probably be more dangerous than anesthesia.

It is possible to trim the incisors without anesthesia. That has to be done frequently for pigs with wonky teeth -- I've known of several lethal whites that had to have their incisors trimmed frequently because they either just grew in crooked, or the pig didn't have molars that hit well enough to keep the incisors trimmed down. But that's a far different thing than tying a pig's mouth open and holding it still enough to grind the molars down without hitting the cheek, gums or tongue. I can't imagine any circumstances in which I think that's better than anesthesia.

@barbaramudge, I can't find a dental video of any kind at LAGPR website. Do you have a link?
    You have more experience than I so I trust your opinion @bpatters. Was just an option I knew of so I thought Iíd mention it.
    Using Tapatalk

User Tag List