Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Pig keeps spitting up critical care

• Thread starter mercurybubbles8
  • Start date

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
My pig went into for dental yesterday and was taking critical care before with no issues. I’ve tried to feed her critical care after the dental, but every time she seems to spit it all up (it actually looks like she is throwing it up, but I know pigs can’t actually throw up). She wants to eat since I see her attempt to take some bites of food and she makes chewing motions and the vet has her on medical twice per day to help with the pain. I was hoping someone maybe had some advice on what I can do to help her eat. I only put in about 0.2cc of critical care at a time as well.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had the exact same thing happen with Scooter. Is her tummy hard? Is she pooping at all? Scooters issue turned out to be bloat .

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
She’s pooping but not a lot. Her stomach is kinda hard, but I had started her on simethicone since sometimes bloat can be a side effect.

I’ve mashed up some pellets and fed that to her though, and she is keeping that down

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try using a vibrating pillow or electric toothbrush under a towel. You can even get an app on your smartphone that makes it vibrate and put that under a towel. Just put your pig on top of that and it should help to move things along.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, get the CC further back in her mouth. If you get it all the way to the back, she's more likely to chew and eat it than if it's in the front of her mouth.

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
I stick the syringe as far back as I can as sometimes she chews right away and sometimes she doesn’t.

the other weird thing is she will take down pellets a lot better than critical care even though she loved critical care before

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.