Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy PLEASE HELP! Pregnant piggies underside is covered in blood?

Mathgeek

Cavy Gazer
My albino pregnant Guinea Pig was bleeding from her area, but she isn't in any distress. I can still feel her babies as she is very far along. However, I can no longer feel them moving, and they are very low in her belly. I called the vet and he said just watched her for the next few hours (but something doesn't feel right). Any idea if this is normal before giving birth.

Mathgeek

Cavy Gazer
Update: She just finished breakfast and his now napping in her house

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it's not. She needs to see an exotic vet NOW. She could have one large pup blocking the birth canal. That would require an emergency spay to save her life.

Does she look like she's in actual labor?

Mathgeek

Cavy Gazer
We brought her to the vet despite the vet not recommending it. She wasn't in labor at all. She was eating, drinking, running, and acting very normal. The only thing is she was overly protective of her butt with our other sows.

Mathgeek

Cavy Gazer
No, it's not. She needs to see an exotic vet NOW. She could have one large pup blocking the birth canal. That would require an emergency spay to save her life.

Does she look like she's in actual labor?
We brought her to the vet despite the vet not recommending it. She wasn't in labor at all. She was eating, drinking, running, and acting very normal. The only thing is she was overly protective of her butt with our other sows.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave

Well, you are better off safe then sorry.

Mathgeek

Cavy Gazer
RESOLVED: After a long day at the vet the vet informed us that she had already given birth, and we should check the cage for stillborn babies. Sure enough, under their hay bag we found them. It is very sad, but Aspen (the mama) is fine and healthy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very glad to know Aspen is ok. But I am so terribly sorry about the babies. That just breaks my heart.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
So sorry...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.