Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump My guinea pig has a lump on his side

guineaapigg

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I'm not sure how to edit a post so here's the link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ea-has-a-bald-spot-behind-her-ear-help-PLEASE

Previously my guinea pig has had a bald spot, and it was solved with a trip to the vet.
However, as I was handling him today, I realised that he had a pretty large, squishy lump on his side near his legs.
Today was a public holiday here in Australia so I wasn't able to go to the vet.
When I touch the lump, he definitely doesn't like it but doesn't scream either.
It's not visible to the eye as he has all black fur on that area.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Also, could anyone tell me how to edit a post :))

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can only edit a post up to 10 minutes after you submit it. A thread can be edited for much longer, but I'm not sure what the limit is. But you did exactly the right thing by posting the link when you couldn't edit the thread. However, there are Reply to Thread buttons on the page that might work.

Squishy lumps usually aren't anything serious, especially if they're moveable and not firmly attached to the muscle underneath. They're commonly lipomas, which are just collections of fat. Unless they cause problems by growing too large or interfering with something (like a joint), they may not be treated.

You do need to see an exotic vet, though, to make sure that's what it is. Don't let a small animal vet operate on a guinea pig, though, unless they've got experience with exotics. "Small animal" means dogs and cats, not pocket pets. And while lipoma surgery is minor compared to anything that has to open the abdominal wall, anesthesia presents its own problems with guinea pigs, and can be trickier than the surgery itself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.