Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Chippy Eye Removal

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Hello All,

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on here. I’m back in part to get opinions from senior members or anyone who has dealt with this issue but also so my experience will be here for others in the future.

I have no idea how, but Chippy has ruptured his eye. We never heard any kind of scuffle between his cage mate and himself and there is nothing obvious in the cage for him to have done this on. He was fine around this time last night and this afternoon, when I got him out for cage cleaning, his eye was a mess.

We went to the ER Vet where we waited for a very long time. The vet confirmed that he has ruptured the globe itself and that the eye will need to be removed. At this point it was 10pm. The vet suggested putting him to sleep. While she was well versed in guinea pigs in general, she had only done a handful of surgeries and had never done this surgery. I decided to bring him home for the night and to call our surgeon in the morning. He has pain meds, baytril and motility drugs. He also got a pain injection. Oh, and I have to lube his eye every hour.

Chippy is about 3 years old and hasn’t ever had a problem. I have been through 4 surgeries with guinea pigs and 2 with rabbits so I’m pretty well versed in after care. But I am worried. My research says that he should be ok and be able to live a happy healthy life. That being said, I’ve also seen a fair number of cases where complications occur. It’s concerning.

I’m attaching a picture, though it doesn’t show how truly bad it looks. If anyone has any experience, please feel free to share. Otherwise, if you could all cross your fingers that the vet can remove the eye tomorrow, I would appreciate it. It’s my understanding that if they can’t tomorrow, I will probably have to have him euthanized. I really don’t want to do that. Thanks in advance.

3702fc9f8e2e44edd7e709d6f52c78b1.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry he's having such problems.

The guinea pigs I know of who've had eye removal have all done well. I'm hoping for the same for Chippy.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m wishing all the best for Chippy and hoping that the surgeon can get this taken care of.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I've never had this issue with any of my pigs but I am keeping Chippy in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how everything goes. I'm very happy to see you back on the forum but I wish it was under better circumstances.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
All four paws are crossed for Chippy! I will say a prayer for him!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Chippy’s surgery went really! He is eating and drinking. Still not really pooping yet. He is still on the same meds so: baytril, 2 motility drugs, metacam, and gas relief drops. He has good gut sounds so things are moving in there. Not sure why he isn’t really pooping yet. He’s only produced a few poops. I had him on the vibrating pad for a bit to help move things along. He seems to be in good spirits.

During surgery they discovered a retrobulbar abscess. They removed as much of the sack of the abscess as they could and cleaned it out really well. They couldn’t find an underlying cause of the abscess. They checked his teeth as well and everything looks normal. He goes to get his stitches removed in two weeks so they will check his teeth again and maybe do an X-ray of his head. I guess we’ll wait and see what happens.

Overall things are going well though. I’ll keep this threat updated as well as I can. My mother is in the ICU right now,having had open heart surgery on the 12th, so life is just a lot right now. I appreciate all the good vibes and prayers. Keep them coming if you can.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Post surgical pics
a1762d8d4c1f2b8b38a7b48b230b686f.jpg

Day One

fa631a7ff6beb41fc8ab000e4b26d4db.jpg

4c39f810c830928f9d5959ece496bbe2.jpg

Day Two pics

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the update. You are going through so much now that my heart really goes out to you. I will say a prayer for your Mom and keep her in my thoughts. My best wishes that all continues to go well for Chippy. Fortunately he is a young pig and has that on his side.

Keep your spirits up and know that we are all thinking of you.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very good news that the surgery went well, [MENTION=30035]barbaramudge[/MENTION] . Also glad to see that Chippy is up and around and seems to be doing OK. I will be keeping tabs on this thread looking for more good news.

You, your mom and your boys are in my thoughts, and all of my, Leo and Simon's positive energy are heading your way. Here's to a speedy and complete recovery for both!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks for the update. Good wishes to Chippy and your mom!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@bpatters and @spydoc How long can he go without pooping before I really freak out? He’s on two different motility drugs, visa pride and reglan. He has been eating, not as much as normal though. I have also been giving him some critical care to supplement what he’s eating on his own. I just got 30cc’s in him. I can hear his gut sounds and they seem ok. He doesn’t seem bloated at all but I’ve given him gas relief drops just in case. He is drinking and peeing fine.

I know post surgical they usually go downhill a little the 2nd and 3rd day. He seem a little lethargic tonight. This not pooping thing is making me anxious given that I know food is going in. I’m not sure what else to do for him.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You sure he's not eating all his poops, not just the cecal ones? Sometimes pigs will do that.

Also, have you checked his anal sac to make sure he's not impacted?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I suppose he could be eating them all. He never has before but he could be. I did check for impaction because that’s something he sometimes has trouble with. There was a little clump of poops. Like some that was mushy and then a couple tiny mostly solid ones but that’s all I’ve seen in the last 24 hours.

I gave him another 30cc’s of critical care this morning and some water. He also ate a tiny bit of carrot and a few strands of hay and a few pellets. I just gave him his pain meds and some more smithicone drops and put him back to rest while I take a nap. I hate bugging him all the time with meds and feedings but it’s gotta be done. The only other thing I could think to do was the vibrating pillow again so we did that as well. I hope his system gets in gear again soon.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I think bugging him could turn out to be a good thing. As he moves around it helps digestion. Pain meds can slow digestion. I’m wishing the best for him and for your mom. You have your hands full right now . Take care.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Pain meds can slow digestion.

I don't know this to be factual, but my experience says the same. And, when they are in pain, their appetite drops and thus fecal output diminishes as well. I'm surprised the Reglan hasn't had more of an effect. Every cavy is different and some are just slower to respond.

I haven't responded to your posts because I had nothing to add........you seem to be doing everything right. My Rascal has been experiencing a URI for months with no satisfactory resolution as yet. It's just very odd.........he was sneezing, lethargic, obviously in pain at the time, but his lungs and abdomen were clear. It was determined that the issue is in his sinuses and possibly the architecture of his nasal passages. He has since improved a good bit, but is still on an antibiotic and simethicone drops as needed for occasional g.i. issues.

An incident regarding cecal poops. At one point when he was at his worst, I retrieved poops from his brother, Rafi, and made some poop soup which he liked and seemed to derive benefit from. About two days later, I saw him obsessively following Rafi around the cage and trying to catch some fresh poops from their source. Smart little boy!

My experience has been that I hear bowel sounds when he has gas. They both prefer to cuddle under my neck vs. lying in the lap. About three days ago, Rascal was out for lap time and had crawled up under my neck to cuddle. Lots of borborgymus and foul odor. He just about ran us out of the room! I subsequently ran to the kitchen to give him the gas drops. I now often check his tummy prior to sitting down for lap time.

As I said, it sounds as though you are doing exactly the right treatment for him. Keep in mind that he has just had a big surgery and may need more time to recover. My best to your Mom and to Chippy for a speedy recovery. Rafi and Rascal send wheeks of encouragement to Chippy.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I should have been more specific - some opioid pain meds can slow digestion. Metacam and carprofen are sometimes given for pain as well as gut stasis and they are NSAIDs so should not interfere with digestion.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Chippy doesn’t seem to be making much progress, though he did have some poops today.

He lost another 20grams. He eats a little bit on his own but mostly just sits balled up by his hay. I’m still syringe feeding him and giving him all his meds. His pain med is just metacam, which I wouldn’t think would be slowing digestion. I hate to not give it to him though because I’m afraid he wouldn’t eat at all if he has more pain. I’m giving him the gas drops on schedule as well to make sure I control that as much as I can.

He a little more active when he isn’t in his cage so I’m keeping him out as much as possible so he’ll move around at least a little. I tried putting him back with his cage mate last night hoping that would maybe encourage him but Sundae just won’t leave him alone and wants to keep licking his stitches so that didn’t work out.

Not sure what else to do so I’m just crossing my fingers and doing all the things. I’m not feeling super confident though.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's only been a few days. Even after dental surgery, I always found that it took Sly a good week before he was back even close to his normal self again.

Try and be patient with regards to Chippy's progress. I know you've been through several different surgeries with pigs (I DO remember Colonel Mustards bladder stones) so I know you know what you're doing. Every pig is different and this was a major surgery. You got this and I know Chippy appreciates everything you're doing for him.

Are you syringing him water as well?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
It's only been a few days. Even after dental surgery, I always found that it took Sly a good week before he was back even close to his normal self again.

Try and be patient with regards to Chippy's progress. I know you've been through several different surgeries with pigs (I DO remember Colonel Mustards bladder stones) so I know you know what you're doing. Every pig is different and this was a major surgery. You got this and I know Chippy appreciates everything you're doing for him.

Are you syringing him water as well?

Yes, I am syringing him some. Not as much as food but only because I’ve seen him drinking on his own and I’m keeping track of how much.

I am trying to be patient. I keep reminding myself that he was probably in shock prior to surgery as well and that’s hard on a body. I just....I need to not lose him. It’s too much right now. I know I don’t control many of this but I need to do all the things I can.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, I am syringing him some. Not as much as food but only because I’ve seen him drinking on his own and I’m keeping track of how much.

I am trying to be patient. I keep reminding myself that he was probably in shock prior to surgery as well and that’s hard on a body. I just....I need to not lose him. It’s too much right now. I know I don’t control many of this but I need to do all the things I can.

If he's drinking on his own that's wonderful. That's a great sign.

I know what you mean, about needing to not lose him. I know it all too well, and recently enough to feel it with you. Have faith that things will work out in a positive way. Other than what you're already doing for Chippy, having a positive attitude will help. He will feel that from you.

Just know that Chippy has a forum army behind him, rooting for him successful recovery. We are all here for you both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.