Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size How Many Piggies Can Be Housed in here?

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
So I am building a 30 Sq ft enclosure, it’s not aesthetically done yet, but the general structure is done. Ik for 2 piggies it’s 8-10 sq ft, and I read on here that after that it’s 2-2.5 per additional piggy, but that just seems to small to me. What would be the maximum amount of piggies that could comfortably and happily live in here?

EDIT: I’d like to add they are all female/will be all female.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably more than you can afford vet care for. Theoretically you can put 8-10 pigs in there, but that can be a very expensive proposition.

Also, I do hope that's an inside enclosure, as pigs should not be kept outside.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have two boars. They are in a 40sq foot indoor enclosure and they absolutely love the room. I would definitely say keep it small as they'll enjoy having whatever room they have to run.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
If it were me I would go with 4. They would love the space, it would be easier to clean and easier to be creative rearranging hideys and tunnels. And if you get an even number, on the chance that there is conflict between them, it would be easier to pair off two and two and just divide the space.

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Probably more than you can afford vet care for. Theoretically you can put 8-10 pigs in there, but that can be a very expensive proposition.

Also, I do hope that's an inside enclosure, as pigs should not be kept outside.

it is Indoors, I’ll be sending a picture soon, but it’s still in the process I need 3 yds of fleece and am having trouble finding a piece that is not divided by yards. I definitely don’t want to get a ton even if 8-10 is theoretically the size, I am wanting more so 4-6 just so they have extra space and I can add more hideys for them. As for vet bills that’s not a problem:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.