Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior how far away do I need to keep visiting guineapigs?

tenar

Cavy Slave
I have three male guineapigs, brothers, who get along fine for the most part. They are nearly 2 years old.

I said I'd look after a friend's guineapigs for a few days. They are 2 males: one young and one a few years old.

I won't put them in the same pen or share their gear, as I don't want to risk transmitting something unpleasant one way or the other (not that any of them are sick, as far as I can tell), but I'm wondering whether it'll be OK to have them in the same room. My worry is that it might upset my most dominant boy to have the scent of other males around. On the other hand maybe it'll interest them.

If I put them in opposite corners of the same room are they likely to be OK? I can have one lot or the other lot outside for floor time (totally safe terrace garden), out of sight of one another, with no problems. It's when they are in that I'm worried about.

The visiting pair are usually kept outside (don't start: they aren't mine), but our terrace will be too hot for safety on at least one of the days, so I will certainly have to have all of them inside for some of the time.

What do you think?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think there's any way to know what will happen if they're kept in the same room. It may all be fine. The scent of other pigs may upset the apple cart in both cages. Or something in between. The safest thing to do would be to keep them in separate rooms.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.