Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Gripe Water?

Hi, my guinea pig is bloated and I was wondering what gripe water to use and how much. I already gave my pig some gas drops but then heard that simethicone is not recommended. I just want to relieve some of the gas while I'm trying to find a vet.

I ran out to the store as soon as I noticed the bloat and bought the gas drops and some gripe water. I didn't give the gripe water because I am unsure if the brand is safe for piggies. It is 'Mommy's Bliss' gripe water. It looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2671.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	87549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2672.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	87551

If that isn't safe, what brand should I get? I've heard of Woodward's but I did not see that at the store. I need something I can get quickly.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    572 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    931 Rec'd/718 Posts

Re: Gripe Water?

Use the simethicone. Not only is it recommended, it's one of the most important items you should keep in a piggy emergency kit.

It should be the infant simethicone, however. You can get no name brand at the pharmacy, I always use brand name Ovol gas drops for infants.

You can also help her with a vibrating pillow, or use an electric toothbrush or power razor with the razor removed under a towel. I have heard of people getting a vibrating app for their phone and using that under a towel as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Use the simethicone. Not only is it recommended, it's one of the most important items you should keep in a piggy emergency kit.

It should be the infant simethicone, however. You can get no name brand at the pharmacy, I always use brand name Ovol gas drops for infants.

You can also help her with a vibrating pillow, or use an electric toothbrush or power razor with the razor removed under a towel. I have heard of people getting a vibrating app for their phone and using that under a towel as well.
    There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. I'll continue giving him gas drops, the ones I have are Little Remedies. Do you happen to know the dosage? I have been giving him .15 ml, half the dose for infants. I have been using a vibrating toothbrush but I never heard of the vibrating app so I'll have to check that out, Thanks!

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    572 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    931 Rec'd/718 Posts

It looks like the dosage you are giving should be fine. Little Remedies appears to be the same as Ovol.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

What caused your guinea pig to become bloated? Did you find your pet a vet? How is your piggie doing?

User Tag List