Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Gripe Water?

Double Vision

Cavy Slave
Hi, my guinea pig is bloated and I was wondering what gripe water to use and how much. I already gave my pig some gas drops but then heard that simethicone is not recommended. I just want to relieve some of the gas while I'm trying to find a vet.

I ran out to the store as soon as I noticed the bloat and bought the gas drops and some gripe water. I didn't give the gripe water because I am unsure if the brand is safe for piggies. It is 'Mommy's Bliss' gripe water. It looks like this:

IMG_2671.jpgIMG_2672.jpg

If that isn't safe, what brand should I get? I've heard of Woodward's but I did not see that at the store. I need something I can get quickly.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Use the simethicone. Not only is it recommended, it's one of the most important items you should keep in a piggy emergency kit.

It should be the infant simethicone, however. You can get no name brand at the pharmacy, I always use brand name Ovol gas drops for infants.

You can also help her with a vibrating pillow, or use an electric toothbrush or power razor with the razor removed under a towel. I have heard of people getting a vibrating app for their phone and using that under a towel as well.

Double Vision

Cavy Slave
Use the simethicone. Not only is it recommended, it's one of the most important items you should keep in a piggy emergency kit.

It should be the infant simethicone, however. You can get no name brand at the pharmacy, I always use brand name Ovol gas drops for infants.

You can also help her with a vibrating pillow, or use an electric toothbrush or power razor with the razor removed under a towel. I have heard of people getting a vibrating app for their phone and using that under a towel as well.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. I'll continue giving him gas drops, the ones I have are Little Remedies. Do you happen to know the dosage? I have been giving him .15 ml, half the dose for infants. I have been using a vibrating toothbrush but I never heard of the vibrating app so I'll have to check that out, Thanks!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It looks like the dosage you are giving should be fine. Little Remedies appears to be the same as Ovol.

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
What caused your guinea pig to become bloated? Did you find your pet a vet? How is your piggie doing?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.