Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection How long is a URI contagious?

HippiesMum

Cavy Slave
We got a new piggy a couple of weeks ago. He had a URI and I took him to the vet. The vet prescribed an antibiotic for 10 days. We're on day 8 and he's still sneezing and had a little bit of a runny nose. Is this normal? Also how long are guinea pigs contagious for? I just want to know because he's been in quarantine waiting to meet our other pig.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the antibiotic is effective, the pig shouldn't be contagious after about 48 hours on it. The question is, is it effective? And there's not really any way to know that if the pig isn't getting better.

HippiesMum

Cavy Slave
If the antibiotic is effective, the pig shouldn't be contagious after about 48 hours on it. The question is, is it effective? And there's not really any way to know that if the pig isn't getting better.
Ok thank you! I was planning on calling the vet on Monday.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.