Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Male guinea pig struggling to poop

bowiesprout1

Cavy Slave
My male Sprout (8 months) I’ve noticed has been struggling to poop lately. He will stick his bum out and head up and it seems he is struggling to poop. This specifically occurs when it is cecal poop. He will not reach under for it but turn around and eat it quickly. This poop also appears as his normal poop and looks very healthy which I find odd. I am not sure if this could be hay related (I realized he did not want to eat out his hay rack anymore and was protesting it! This issue was resolved by simply laying the hay on the ground lol). He also does not appear to be impacted. Otherwise he acts as normal and is very happy and popcorning constantly! I figure I will have to take him to the vet regardless, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a situation like this?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had a couple of pigs do something similar. One of my current boars, Leo, does this. My dearly departed Scooter used to do something similar. He would raise his bum in the air and then "flutter" it down to the ground and kind of curve it under himself. In both cases its for a cecal pellet. Both, however, would reach down for it. Leo has a little trouble sometimes because he's a porker, and sometimes he has to turn around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.