Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Possible Bladder Stone [Can she handle surgery?]

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
Hi,

My 3.5 guinea pig may have a bladder stone and I am trying to determine if she can handle another surgery. Or do her symptoms indicate a different issue?

SYMPTOMS:

• Wet bum (Yuck!)
  • Wheeking while peeing & pooping (Ouch!)
  • Pink eye
  • Anemia (Strange - 🤔)
  • Bacteria found in urine sample

HISTORY:
Ovarian cysts and uterine tumor were removed from a female guinea pig when she was ~2 years old. According to the surgeon, it was a complicated surgery and her heart stopped during the surgery. It was an exceedingly difficult recovery (bloat/stopped pooping!) with numerous vet visits, but she survived. But can she handle another surgery?

~ JANUARY 2020:
A spot was seen on her x-ray. An ultrasound was recommended. Given her symptoms, I suspected a bladder stone.

MAY 2020:
Guinea pig was first treated for pink eye with Ciprofloxacin. She has been treated for pink eye 3 times since ...

DECEMBER 2020:

• Vet visit because guinea pig stopped eating hay and pellets!
  • All tests and treatment cost a total of ~$700
  • Blood test showed anemia.
  • According to her blood test, her liver, kidneys etc. were ok! 👍
  • Issue was some white blood cells. Vet suspected parasites, but a urinalysis and fecal sample didn't show any parasites.
  • Tons of bacteria were found in her urine. Aha! An Infection!
  • Another x-ray showed no significant change to the spot on her x-ray, but an ultrasound was recommended again since all of her other tests weren’t all that helpful!
$700 later and still no real answers = 😭🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

JANUARY 2021:
She is currently being treated for a urinary tract infection with Trim Sulfa. For pain and inflammation, she gets Tramadol and Meloxicam.

QUESTIONS:
1. Do bladder stones move? I was surprised that the spot on her x-ray didn’t change at all. Also hoping that indicates something although I don’t know what … 😊
2. Can a guinea pig who easily gets bloated handle surgery?
3. Can a guinea pig who has an infection handle surgery?
4. Is anemia a common symptom of UTI/bladder stone?
5. Is anemia more often seen with stones, cancer or another issue?
I read that anemia is a result of inflammation, so it could be connected to any medical issue. However, I’ve never read about a guinea pig with anemia… 🤔🤷‍♀️

ALARMING ISSUE: She barely eats hay. How can she handle surgery if she isn’t eating hay? I can’t syringe feed her hay …

Thanks for any feedback & stay safe,
Wendy

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
3.5 what? Years or pounds?

Bladder stones may or may not move. They can be attached to the bladder wall and not move at all. If not attached, then they may move.

Bloat doesn't necessarily follow surgery. And stone removal is much different from a spay in that it doesn't involve a lot of manipulation of the abdominal contents, and therefore is less likely to upset things.

It's probably better to have an infection under control before surgery than not, but it's also probably not a reason to postpone a stone removal. There's also danger in leaving the stone in. If it does move, it can fall into the urethra and block the flow of urine. Then you've got a painful, expensive, possibly fatal emergency on your hands.

Anemia has nothing to do with bladder stones.

Anemia can be seen with many conditions, all of them more likely than a bladder stone unless you're seeing evidence of bleeding from the bladder.

Has she had her teeth examined and skull x-rays? I'd be as concerned about her stopping eating hay and pellets as about a possible stone. And if you've been hand feeding her since December, overgrown molars are definitely possible.

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
Weight: ~800 grams
Clarification: I only syringe fed her last week. Her teeth have been examined, but no skull x-ray conducted.

I suspected a bladder stone because she wheeks when she pees and poops and had a spot on her x-ray near her bladder. She is getting an ultrasound this Friday to determine if that spot is causing her issues.

I thought I saw blood in her urine when I woke up this morning and she barely touched her pellets, so I took her to the vet today. This is the first time in months that I have seen blood...

Vet said she had a fever, her eye is more pink, so she will be getting baytril instead of trim-sulfa.

Thanks for answering my questions. I just wish I knew what was wrong with her ...

"Anemia can be seen with many conditions, all of them more likely than a bladder stone unless you're seeing evidence of bleeding from the bladder."

Do you think an ultrasound is a bad idea? Is there another test that seems more appropriate to you?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I think an ultrasound is a good idea and very easy to do. In my experience they can check the abdomen, bladder, and uterus quite easily, and see any masses or abnormalities.

Baytril will I’ll probably upset her digestive tract and she may not want to eat, so be prepared to syringe feed if necessary. It sounds like she has a couple of infections going on with her eye and urinary. I hope you find out what’s going on with her and get it under control.

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
Yes, she does seem to be dealing with numerous ailments. No worries, I'm prepared to syringe feed and way too experienced in that department.

I'm not sure switching to Baytil is the right move though but I want that infection gone so ...

Here are the pics of her urine ...
20210111_095904.jpg20210111_123128.jpg
20210111_095912.jpg

One picture is from late this morning and is completely normal. The other two pics were what I woke up to and look very off to me. Does that look like bloody urine to anyone else? Just double checking ...

Wendy

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
My vet told me that they couldn't see where the spot was on the x-ray and only an ultrasound would help ... [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]: Is this true? Do ultrasounds really often miss bladderstones???

ultrasounds.miss.bladderstones.jpg

I am still hoping to save money and avoid an ultrasound! 😢🤦‍♀️
It is still scheduled for this Friday...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.