Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Fighting Boars

tmorganna515

Cavy Slave
Hello, hoping someone can offer some advice for my 2 boars who have just started getting into disagreements about a month ago (2 spats so far).

I rescued them about a year ago and have never witnessed any type of disagreement or pestering behavior at all, before or after these isolated incidents. About a month or so ago, I witnessed my younger pig chase his friend and pull some fur out hard with a little bit of skin. I immediately took him out to address his wound, which wasn't actively bleeding, but looked like a good red scratch. Tonight, I witnessed the same thing, but with a little more fur and the wound was a bit larger. I've put some extra grids down the middle for the night as a temporary fix.

The chaser pig is a BITER by nature. He loves to be held and nip at my fingers, clothes or anything in the vicinity while I'm holding him, but not in an aggressive way. He'll bite anything he can find during floor time, so I have to be extra careful.

The pig that was attacked is very laid back and sweet and doesn't fight back at all.

Both boys eat veggies and hay side by side, lay down near each other and most of the time get along wonderfully. Both seem happy, popcorn often and are very interactive. I do have a loft and they are very good at separating and spending "alone time"- one normally sleeps upstairs all night.

I don't want to separate unnecessarily, but I also don't want my piggie getting hurt. Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm not sure whether to separate them or leave them and hope the situation diffuses?

They are approximately 2 years (pig getting bitten) and 18 months (the BITER)
They are in a 2x6 C&C with a 2x2 loft
They have multiple houses and hideys with at least 2 entry points
They have at least 2 of everything- water bottles, food dishes, veggies get scattered around the whole cage

Thank you in advance!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.