Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Sneezing piggies? Should I take them to a vet?

poppypenguin_88

Cavy Slave
I have two piggies, got them in October. They’re ~5 months old. Originally used Kaytee hay and aspen shavings, but I heard they can EASILY get respiratory issues, so I immediately switched the aspen for Kaytee white fluff bedding. They started sneezing the other day. I’m not sure if it’s one or both. But they sneezed uncontrollably one night, so I did a deep clean of their cage and it calmed them down. It’s been a couple days and they’ve been sneezing 2-3 times every now and then, so whenever they do I remove all the hay.

I do a clean sweep daily, and a deep clean every 3-5 days but with the sneezing I’ve been deep cleaning daily. I also switched from Kaytee hay to Oxbow hay. This bag is a little dustier(?) than the first one so I’m wondering if maybe that’s causing an issue? A friend of mine said her piggy sneezes from hay sometimes. I swap the water and food, and remove all hay as soon as they sneeze. But I’m worried that I’m depriving them of medical care that might be needed?

They aren’t showing any other issues. They eat and drink just fine and normal. Consistent and regular bowel movements. I.e., they’re pooping and peeing like normal. Also no discharge from their eyes or mouth, and no labored breathing that I’ve noticed. All of which I heard can be accompanying symptoms to respiratory distress.

Should I take them to a vet to be sure? Or is it most likely gonna just be the “dustier” hay? Perhaps putting them back on Kaytee hay might help?

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Yes, CavySavy vets are the best if you have one near you

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Some questions that may help us to help you solve the sneezing issues if they are still eating & drinking ok and there is no nasal discharge.

What type of cage do you have them in and where are they located? (Is it wire, C& C grids or is it glass or plastic? How big? Are they on the floor? Are they near a window or door?)

What is the temperature and humidity of room they are housed?

Have you tried fleece bedding options or carefresh?

What type of hay are you feeding? (Timothy, orchard...?)

Where & how do you store the hay?

Oxbow, KMS and small pet select hays are all great quality hays. Kaytee hay is not, therefore I would stick with the oxbow. Give it a gentle shake as you remove the hay from the bag so any dust falls away from the handful you are putting in the cage. I personally get large boxes of hay delivered and only experience minimal dust near the bottom.

Do not take away their hay as it is their primary diet and they should have access to it at all times.

I also would encourage anyone who feels something is off with their pet to always take them to their vet. Make sure you find an exotics vet who treats guinea pigs.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.