Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting Guinea pigs arguing/ not sure what to do

Candalalala

Cavy Slave
I have three guinea pigs. Caramel, a neutered boy, and his sister Apple, and then PB, whom I adopted in February. Caramel and Apple are 2 years old while PB is an estamated one year old. Caramel is the gentleman alfa, he never squabbles and doesn't blink an eye when he's mounted. However, PB and Apple have always argued about being second in the hierarchy. They've rumblestrutted, mounted, whined, etc. Nothing serious until this last Saturday.
I had just got home from being out all day Christmas shopping and was sitting by their cage on my phone. I heard a a loud noise, looked up, and they were lunging at eachother. Me standing up scared them but they continued to teeth chatter at each other so I took them out and looked them over. There was nothing wrong.
I kept them separated while I cleaned their cage and afterwards put them all back in there and kept an eye out. They seemed fine except for some rumble strutting.
Fast forward to today, I noticed Apple seems a bit down. She's just laying there, staring, which seems like normal guinea pigs behavior but it was odd and something didn't seem right. She let my hand get close enough to her head to pet it, which isn't normal (she usually runs unless food is involved). I noticed her eye looked off, as well. Not noticeably bad but just off.
I made a vet appointment for tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do now. I have not seen any fights but that does not mean that it didn't happen while I was sleeping or while I was out for lunch today. I don't know if her eye is from a fight or something else? I have separated them and put PB at the top and Apple and Caramel at the bottom. I'm not sure if that's a good move or not.... they have plenty of room, they don't bully each other while drinking or eating, and this hasn't been an issue in almost the year since I've added PB. I read that they bully each other when one sick so maybe Apple is not feeling well? Or maybe PB is finally showing her true self and is butting heads with Apple.

Attachments

1002201903e.jpg 1221201541a_HDR.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The first thing I would think of is cage size. For three guinea pigs you’ll need at least 10 square feet, more would be better. They should have hideys in multiple places that have 2 openings so no one gets cornered, because that’s a sure way to have serious injuries. There should be a divider like a fleece fringe curtain so they can’t always see each other, and several hay piles, water bottles and scattered pellets so no one can be blocked from food or water.

Candalalala

Cavy Slave
Their cage is nearly 17.5 square feet all together. It's split level with 10 at the bottom and 7.5 at the top. I have added multiple hideys and a fleece forest at the top of the ramp. PB still is acting so aggresive towards Apple. Apple is chilling in a hidey and then PB starts rumblestrutting around. She's only picking on Apple, not Caramel...
I noticed her weight has gone down since October 30 from 1011 to 926. Could something be wrong with her that she's suddenly being very mean to Apple?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
So from the picture (thank you!) It looks like you have a 2x3 up top which leads to an approximate 2x3 grid on the bottom. Am I seeing that right?

Have you considered going just one grid wider? It looks like you would have the room to do it.

Also, have you considered extending the bottom level underneath the top loft to about a 6 grid length (it looks like under the top level you have storage). They really need a large space to be on one level to run around.

This would extend the cage and maximize their space without taking up much more floor room (just a little extra width).

I have one female who is a bit territorial. She will lunge at any pig walking by and is particularly aggressive towards another one of my females if in anything less than 3 grids wide with 6 grids length...minimum. Once she has a bigger space she is the nicest pig around. She would not do well at all with the "minimum" space everyone refers to.

To further increase the peace inside the cage, I would also add another ramp to that top space. You can drape a piece of fleece across the top space and clip it on both sides of the cage to give them a little extra feeling of security too.

Then add a pile of hay & water to the bottom level so the 3 of them don't have to share a 2x3 loft to eat/drink...that is bound to increase fights when there is only one way up & one way down in that small area where all the goodies are.

I have always seen squabbling between pigs go away when they have enough space. Some need more room than others.

Candalalala

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the suggestions! The bottom space is about a 2x4. I stuck grids in between the white coated wiring and the coroplast because they were chewing on the white coating. I was able to fit in 2 wide and 4 long.
I can't widen the cage or lengthen it since my bed is right next to the cage (it's just outside the picture) and my dresser is right there (I can barely open it due to the air purifier lol) I have looked into lifting the 2x4 cage up and taking out some of the middle walls to sort of flatten the space. I can't do too much since I use wood pellets under fleece on the bottom and fleece liners on the top. I might need to do this and add the smaller ramps.
However, I have added a food bowl, a water bottle, and put one of the hay bags on the bottom level.
PB has the top and Apple and Caramel have the bottom for now. I think I'll keep them separate for a month or so and then try to reintroduce them again. I'll keep a food, water, and hay on the bottom level this time.
I took them to the vet and nothing is apparently wrong. We're thinking PB's gradual weightloss may be from her and Apple squabbling over food with maybe some bullying happening. I haven't seen it happen, though, so I'm not sure. I'm only witnessed squabbling over hideys (which I added more after seeing it.... to no avail).

Candalalala

Cavy Slave
I weighed PB again after she's been separated... She's now at 904g... I noticed she isn't eating much hay or pellets, and none of the daily bell pepper. However, she is eating all of the daily lettuce. I can't tell if she's depressed from being alone or if this has been happening the last 2 months and I didn't notice from them being together.

Candalalala

Cavy Slave
I did. We went 2 days ago and they said she was healthy. I made a new one for the 28th when they open back up. I tried buying some Critical Care but only my vet sells it... And they're closed. Its sold out everywhere online.
I switched her and Apple so she'd be with Caramel and I think she's eating again. I just don't know why her weight has been decreasing for 2 months now. I only have an explanation of the last couple of days when she was separated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Critter Be Better from American Pet Diner is about the same thing as Oxbow's Critical Care, and can be ordered online.

Candalalala

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!
I just checked and by time anything arrives by vet will be open :(
She's eating some here and there and mostly eating her lettuce.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.