Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Won't eat timothy hay

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
My Mom's guinea pig who is under 6 months eats oxbow young essentials pellets. But when we tried switching him from alfalfa hay in his hay manger to timothy hay he won't eat the timothy hay. Is it bad for him to eat the alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay both at the same time? Or is there another oxbow hay type besides alfalfa or timothy we should try him on?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He really shouldn't have been having both alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay anyway. The purpose of the alfalfa is that it has the extra calcium that pups need for teeth and bones, but that's too much of a good thing.

You can feed him any long strand grass hay -- timothy, blue, orchard, meadow, brome. I'd buy the smallest amount possible of a few of those and see if there's one he likes better. But you can also check that you've got a good quality timothy hay. If it's dry and dusty, it's probably a no-go.

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
I'll let my Mom know. We will try one of the other grass hays you listed above till we find one he likes instead of the alfalfa hay. Thanks for answering my question.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs wont eat the hay if it is mostly ends, they only care for the stems. Is there plenty of stems in the mixture?

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
My Mom is going tomorrow to pick up some different grass hays listed above by bpatters. She is also going to try a different brand of timothy hay too.

Shelbyd796

Cavy Gazer
I would try orchard hay. I am not sure if he has it in stock, but guineadad sells it. That would be the next best option. I only recommend alfalfa to guinea pigs 6 mon and under. Having the same type of pellets as hay, is totally fine. They can never have too much hay. definitely try to keep him on the young food.

Edited by bpatters: Your information is incorrect. Alfalfa is very high in calcium, and one of the major health issues of guinea pigs is bladder stones. Young pigs DO need extra calcium, but they don't need an overload. You can either feed alfalfa pellets, or you can supplement a good grass hay with some alfalfa hay. But feeding both alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets risks the later health of the pig.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
Now Max (Mom's guinea pig) is eating the timothy hay. So he is off alfalfa hay but will stay on oxbow young essentials pellets till he is 6 months old. Thanks for your help bpatters.

Shelbyd796

Cavy Gazer
Now Max (Mom's guinea pig) is eating the timothy hay. So he is off alfalfa hay but will stay on oxbow young essentials pellets till he is 6 months old. Thanks for your help bpatters.
No problem! I am always happy to help!

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
Mom went today and got him orchard hay by oxbow. He really loves it!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.