Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Clipping neglected nails

Stella_Bella

Cavy Gazer
So, before I rescued chewie he was severely neglected and abused by his first two homes. I've gotten him to recover very nicely, however there's one thing I've had difficulty with: clipping his nails.

From what I've read, if you don't clip their nails they will become curled up and will be more sensitive. It's possible it's from being older, but I truly believe he never had his nails clipped before I got him. I've noticed his feet are sort of deformed in a way? He walks fine, but his nails had such a bad effect they are flat to the ground on the front paws and he mostly can only walk on his Tarsal pad with his back feet.

I do try my best to clip his nails as best I can but they're almost in a tight C shape and his pain receptors have grown out to a point that, even after safely clipping as far as I can without hurting him, they're still extremely curled up.

Any tips?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Check with your vet and see what they'd charge to trim them -- shouldn't be more than $15 to $20. They can safely get them to the right length and stop any bleeding that may occur.

Once trimmed to the right length, they'd be easier for you to to keep short.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.