Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Where to buy fleece liner?

metcarl

Cavy Gazer
I am a new Guinea pig owner and have just bought and assembled a new 2x4 C&C cage. I also ordered a fleece liner from here (Guinea Pig Market), but it’s almost been a week and I haven’t even been contacted about fulfilling the order yet. Since it’s a busy time of year and I don’t know when I’ll be getting the liner from Guinea Pig Market, I’m wanting to look into other options to hopefully get one in sooner. There are several options on Etsy and wanted to know if anyone has tried them. I don’t really want a pocket in the liner.

Also, I don’t sew, so have no interest in making my own.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can just use loose fleece. I used fleece for years, but it was always just a piece cut a little larger than the cage, with bricks along the side and ends to keep them from burrowing.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
If you get a piece of fleece material (JoAnn's fabrics often has fleece on sale), as bpatters suggested, you can put a towel or something else absorbent underneath the piece of fleece. Having something absorbent underneath will help the fleece to wick the urine down to the towel below. Bear in mind, this is only a temporary solution until your order arrives. Towels will get stinky fairly quickly and are not a good long-term solution. (With the towel under the fleece, still use something heavy, like bricks, to prevent burrowing.)

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
With fleece and towels you just have to have a piece of fleece long and wide enough so you can fold it underneath the towels to prevent burrowing. I did that for years. Having seperate layers like that makes for easy washing, you can make it two loads if that fits better into the machine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're putting the fleece over wood pellets, you don't need a towel. The pellets wick better than the towel, are far cheaper than any other absorbent material, and last forever.

But if you don't want to do that, go to a resale shop and find an old mattress pad. They work well as absorbent pads.

hihiduyu

Cavy Slave
I recommend getting GuineaDad, it's of really high quality, and it works really really well!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Beware of the pockets in GuineaDad products. I've known of several guinea pigs with respiratory problems that went away when the pockets were turned under.

hihiduyu

Cavy Slave
What? I've never heard that before.. Hmmm where can I read into this?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
There have been some instances of guinea pigs developing respiratory issues because they burrow into the pockets and of course pee in there. They breath the ammonia and develop symptoms of upper respiratory infection.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@hihiduyu, google it over at Guinea Lynx. I *think* the users who had the problems was renonvsparky, but I could be misremembering that.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
At Guinea Lynx, the member whose piggie I most remember with that issue was rjespicer. At that time, he and I also used the same exotic vet, as we both live in San Francisco. I have since changed vets as I did not like that vet, even though she is only 5 blocks away. Rjespicer no longer uses the pocket. I've also stopped using that pocket even though none of my piggies ever had any URI problems. I cut off the pocket and am using it as the top layer for their square beds. You can always prop up the pocket so there is more airflow, which still allows the piggie to run in and out. Now I wish I didn't remove the pocket. Rjespicer also did not use removable pee pads anywhere in their cage. I always put a large removable pee pad under the pocket and changed it out every day or two.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

hihiduyu

Cavy Slave
thank you! I'll have to go take a look

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I use a sheet of fleece over the washable incontinence pads made for people to protect furniture and bedding. I don't sew anything together, just put the pads on the bottom and cover the whole thing with fleece. I also use wee pads that are a layer of fleece, a lightweight kitchen towel, and a backing of woven fabric. The woven side is nice for a hay pile, the hay doesn't stick to it. Separate layers are easier to wash and dry.

JZSKH

Cavy Slave
metcarl: I am quite partial to Guinea Pig Market's fleece products. The company is unfortunately very backed up at the moment. It was never like that when I ordered from them in the past. To give you a sense of the timeline, I placed an order (reservation, actually) on November 20, and was contacted on December 29 to pay for it in order for it to go into production. My order has not shipped yet. The quality is top notch though. Very durable fleece blankets that have never leaked or failed me. They are heavy enough that I am able to vacuum them without them lifting off the floor.

I will caution that you may face delays with other sellers as well. When I learned that Guinea Pig Market was backed up, I placed an order with a company called Four Legged Luxuries (in addition to the order I placed with Guinea Pig Market). That order has yet to ship too, and the timeline has not been clear. Guinea Pig Market's reservation system at least gives you a sense of the timeframe, and you do not have to pay until the order goes into production. The verdict is out on Four Legged Luxuries, but I did find some really cute patterns on their site. I am looking forward to trying out their stuff.

For faster shipping, you could try Guinea Dad. I placed my first order there too, at the same time as the others. Guinea Dad was able to ship right away. They do not have the same variety in patterns or cuts (shapes), however, but I was happy having the immediate backup. (We expanded our cage recently, which caused the immediate need for some new fleece for the new space.) I like using their pee pads.

If you can wait, I would stick with your order from Guinea Pig Market. I think you will appreciate the quality of the product you will eventually receive.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.