Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick "Wet" and strange noises after eating

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
Hello all, my boar piggy has been making this "wet" chewing noise almost every time he eats pellets/hay/veggies. He also occasionally lets out one or two snorts (kind of sounds like a tooting/congested nostril noise) afterwards. In his sleep, I also occasionally hear the same, faint "wet" chewing noise and teeth chattering. He is still eating and drinking water regularly. I've checked his teeth and mouth and did not see anything that could be stuck

Please view this video I've uploaded of what the frequent "wet" chewing noises sound like (please turn up your volume to be able to hear it). I was not able to get the odd snort he occasionally lets out. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
https://youtu.be/u2iDVZggZmA

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have never heard that sound from a guinea pig before.

If he were mine, I would make sure those videos were on my phone and make an appointment with an exotic vet in short order. Show them to the vet.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I have never heard that sound from a guinea pig before.

If he were mine, I would make sure those videos were on my phone and make an appointment with an exotic vet in short order. Show them to the vet.

I actually have heard that sound before my sweet late Leo would make that sound if he ate too quickly he made that sound from the time he was 5 weeks old til his passing at 5 years old he was kind of a gorger of food.

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
I actually have heard that sound before my sweet late Leo would make that sound if he ate too quickly he made that sound from the time he was 5 weeks old til his passing at 5 years old he was kind of a gorger of food.

My boar has never made this noise before (I've had him for 2 years) and only has started making these noises very recently. I'm not sure what changed..? From your comment I suspect that it isn't a threat to his overall health?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Im assuming he isn't your only pig and if I am right try separating him just a feeding time and give him his pellets him small amounts when he is done put him back its possible he could be trying to eat to quickly.

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
I did try feeding him smaller proportions more frequently and he still made the same noise. I went to the vet and it turns out he had an ear infection, but we weren't able to rule this out until the vet sedated him to be able to check his mouth. He also did fluid injections for my piggy. We left with Baytril for his ear infection.

After his meds, his poops were extremely watery/strung together. His appetite/energy level was pretty low and I hand fed him water/food the whole day yesterday. He'll eat when I prompt him or place food right in front of him, but in smaller amounts (than usual) on his own.

The clinic texted me to have him come back if he isn't 95-100% himself by tomorrow. I would like to know what supplements/veggies I can give him for a quick recovery, as I would not like to go back to the vet/have him be given any more medications.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Well lets start with what are you currently feeding him. I also think the ear infection is unrelated was he ever shaking his head or acting like his ear was painful?

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
Well lets start with what are you currently feeding him. I also think the ear infection is unrelated was he ever shaking his head or acting like his ear was painful?

He eats 1/8th of a cup of veggies (lettuce/cucumbers/bell peppers) and Oxbow pellets for breakfast. One Oxbow Vitamin c tablet each night. Hay throughout the day.
Well, I think the vet and I came to the conclusion that the "wet" noises he was making might've been due to the discomfort he was feeling. I also started to realize that he was more itchy around his ear area.

It's been well over two weeks since he's been taking Baytril and we have a scheduled follow up with the vet tomorrow. I was wondering what are (if any) are signs I would be able to recognize to determine if my piggy has healed from his ear infection (and possibly not have to take him to the vet)? The doctor prescribed him Baytril for 14 days, would ear infections usually heal after that period of treatment?

Thank you.

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
Updating this thread-

I ended up taking my piggy to the vet, it appears that he has ear mites. He was given a dose of Revolution. It has been 5 days and he is still itching at/around his ear and shaking his head very often. The vet suggested not to clean the wax build up in his ear as the Revolution should "flush out" the ear wax on its own, but I'm not sure if this is correct. After reading this guide ((broken link removed)) and seeing that it states to clean out the pig's ears in conjunction with administering the Revolution, I did so with a bit of mineral oil. He got better for the day, and returned to ear scratching and head shaking frequently. What should I do from here?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.