Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Pododermatitis

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Does this look like like pododermatitis? She’s definitely not in any pain. I started giving her epsom salt soaks. They’re on fleece that I don’t allow to get damp or nasty. C53E2753-55C2-4D9B-A377-4A5650C4A9A5.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe. I can't tell from the picture. If you want to post something closer up with better lighting, we can better see what you're seeing.

In the meantime, read https://guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html and see if it looks like any of the pictures.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I’m fairly certain these spots are where she puts her weight while walking.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Quick update. I did inspect it a bit more and the scab came off and it bled lightly.

heres my game plan:
-0.56 ml of SMZ/TMP twice a day
-Epsom salt soaks twice a day
-clean the feet with chlorhexidine wipes twice per day

if no improvement within a week, its off to the vet.

also heres a really clear photo

Attachments

A9F07EC9-5C93-4A0D-8BB3-85401B15CC47.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't give the SMZ/TMP for that. GP's don't do well with antibiotics in general, and I'd want to see if it improved with something else first.

Cage cleanliness has way more do to with pododermatitis than weight does. And some pigs prefer to sleep in the same place where they potty. So keep those places especially clean, and discourage her from sleeping in them as much as possible.

The Epsom salts soaks twice a day should be sufficient at this point. I'd hold the chlorhexidine in reserve in case the ES doesn't do the trick. Just make sure you rinse her feet very well after soaking, and don't let her drink the ES water. Upside down bottle caps make good piggy foot baths.

The other thing you might do is apply cold pressed virgin coconut oil to her feet after soaking. It has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, and will lubricate the skin to keep it from cracking.

What kind of bedding is she on?

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't give the SMZ/TMP for that. GP's don't do well with antibiotics in general, and I'd want to see if it improved with something else first.

Cage cleanliness has way more do to with pododermatitis than weight does. And some pigs prefer to sleep in the same place where they potty. So keep those places especially clean, and discourage her from sleeping in them as much as possible.

The Epsom salts soaks twice a day should be sufficient at this point. I'd hold the chlorhexidine in reserve in case the ES doesn't do the trick. Just make sure you rinse her feet very well after soaking, and don't let her drink the ES water. Upside down bottle caps make good piggy foot baths.

The other thing you might do is apply cold pressed virgin coconut oil to her feet after soaking. It has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, and will lubricate the skin to keep it from cracking.

What kind of bedding is she on?

I was a bit hesitant to go to antibiotics because it’s clearly pretty mild. I will hold off on them. She definitely sleeps in the same place she goes to the bathroom! They are on fleece, from this website actually. Maybe I’m not washing it enough. I just washed and put them on clean fleece. I will start doing it every other day. I’m very careful that she doesn’t lick or get the ES in her eyes, no worries there. I will also try the coconut oil. I appreciate your response.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
And also, this is what it used to look like. Note that her ankle was sprained so the back was swollen and makes the other parts look smaller than they actually were.

Attachments

6E180139-664F-4531-8BD0-72B8B0AF9A90.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you've got her on fleece, make some smaller fleece pads (fleece over towels is fine) and put them in places where she potties. You can change them more often, and they're much easier and quicker to wash than having to change the whole cage every other day.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
That is a brilliant idea! I will absolutely try that.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
If you've got her on fleece, make some smaller fleece pads (fleece over towels is fine) and put them in places where she potties. You can change them more often, and they're much easier and quicker to wash than having to change the whole cage every other day.
One more question. To make these fleece sheets work, do I have to wash AND dry them 3-4 times or just wash them 3-4 and then dry them?

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I hope I'm giving you the correct information but I think you are supposed to wash them and then put them in the dryer after each wash cycle. I know when I've purchased a new liner I always wash them and completely dry them and then I check to see if they are wicking the moisture away. If the water is still puddling, I wash and dry them again. I know it seems like you are using a lot of water and a lot of energy to run the dryer but usually they only require 1-2 times through the washer and dryer before you are able to put them into the cage.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Another idea that I use is the white super-soft microfiber polishing cloths they sell at Dollar Tree. They are very soft fleece cloths usually found with the automotive products. I toss one in each corner of the cage. They wash easily and wick moisture well. I wash them once before I use them and they last for years.

Last edited:

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Well, after two months of changing the fleece daily, it looks worse. No leg smelling, limping, etc. Though I have not been doing anything like epsom salt soaks. So im going to start that 2X a day, if no response, antibiotics will be added asap. (I already have SMZ)

Attachments

087280B0-4552-44B3-A80A-13C1B3CB6912.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you use epsom salts, be very careful not to let the pig ingest any of it, and rinse and dry the feet carefully after you're done. An upside down bottle cap makes a good piggy foot bath.

Bactrim is not designed for things like that. It works best against anaerobic bacteria (those that grow in the absence of oxygen). You could get some silver sulfadizene from some place like Valley Vet. That usually works well. Just apply sparingly and rub in well.

Also get some cold pressed virgin coconut oil to apply to the feet. It has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, and will help keep the skin supple.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html.

Edited by bpatters: My mistake. Bactrim is NOT known to work well against anaerobic bacteria. However, over the years, I've seen very posts on these boards where it has been used for pododermatitis. Baytril is more commonly used, and even ciprofloxacin or azithromycin in very bad cases.

Last edited:

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
My vet says SMZ is a broad spectrum that does well against even MRSA. This is what two different vets have recommended to me when my other sow had this.

yes I am always very careful to wash her feet thoroughly. I have some virgin coconut oil I will start using.

thanks for the response!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.