Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Yellow hay

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Seems this year's crop isn't very green. Got orchard grass from sps and am surprised it's mostly yellow. My girls like long strands and I've never found timothy hay that doesn't have a lot of brown. Anyone find a supplier of long grass hay that is actually mostly green? My girls aren't fond of this much yellow so I kind of worry when I see they aren't eating as much as when it's mostly green. I'm on fixed income so I cant just try a brand unless someone recently got it and mostly green.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The Oxbow Orchard Grass hay that I've been getting is very green. Problem is that the bags aren't very big, so I buy a big bag of the Timothy and two small bags of the Orchard Grass and mix them together and thats been lasting a few weeks.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
My last batch of KMS Bluegrass hay that was purchased in July was pretty decent. There was some brown in it but for the most part it was pretty green. I do what [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] does and I mix Oxbow and KMS together. I usually buy the combination bag of Timothy/Orchard. A few weeks ago I purchased the three pack of Guinea Dad hay. I'm not crazy about the fact that the strands are short but if I don't feed it as a steady diet my pigs seem to like it. About every 3rd day I give them the Guinea Dad hay and they seem to go for it. I think they regard it as a treat. I will say that it is very green and there isn't much dust.

Artista

Cavy Slave
My last batch of KMS Bluegrass hay that was purchased in July was pretty decent. There was some brown in it but for the most part it was pretty green. I do what [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] does and I mix Oxbow and KMS together. I usually buy the combination bag of Timothy/Orchard. A few weeks ago I purchased the three pack of Guinea Dad hay. I'm not crazy about the fact that the strands are short but if I don't feed it as a steady diet my pigs seem to like it. About every 3rd day I give them the Guinea Dad hay and they seem to go for it. I think they regard it as a treat. I will say that it is very green and there isn't much dust.

Where did you order from? Sps hay sucks. Kills me seeing nibble and quit eating and tossing it. I have kms bluegrass coming for 2lbs but July wasn't good so I anticipate the same. My poor babies.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
The Timothy/Orchard bag that I purchased was from Oxbow and I just picked up large bag from the feed store. I don't know if you've ever tried the Guinea Dad hay but if you haven't maybe give it a shot. It's really green and there is very little dust. The only drawback is the short strands.

The few times that I've ordered SPS it's been hit or miss. One time the box was full of foxtails. They were nice enough to send me another box after I sent them pictures of the hay. I know what you mean about having to throw the hay away. Over the years I've thrown quite a bit away and it's not a cheap product to purchase.

The only saving grace is that we have quite a few rabbits around our neighborhood so I give them the hay that my pigs won't eat. I hope your next batch of KMS is decent. I know the company is doing their best but it's not the same as when the previous owner ran the company.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I ordered 15 lbs of KMS blue grass which is expected to arrive tomorrow and really hope it will be green. I bought 3 flakes of local orchard grass from a rabbit owner and it was terrible, really thick with lots of stems and dry brown pieces. I had multiple cuts on my hand from picking out pieces of hay and afraid my piggies will get poked/hurt from the thick dry hay. I tried to give 2 flakes to my sister for her friend's rabbit but due to COVID, her retired friend declined. All three flakes are slowly going into the compost bin. There is a park close by so maybe I can bring the remainder to the park, in case there are other critters that can eat it.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The Oxbow timothy/orchard grass mix hay bag I just got is awesome, long strands, green and soft.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
@SSLee, I think taking the hay to a park is a great idea. I'm sure there might be rabbits there who would love that hay. I once had a batch of pellets that my pigs wouldn't eat so I tried to feed them to the squirrels in my yard. They just sniffed them and walked away. Apparently to my squirrels they weren't even comparable to peanuts in the shell. I thought if the squirrels didn't like them I can see why my pigs wouldn't eat them.

Artista

Cavy Slave

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I just received my KMS hay and the blue grass at the top of the box looks to be mainly long strands and green. I put some into the cage and my girls went to town on it. I also ordered 5 lbs of oat hay and it is greener than my last oat hay order, from Rabbit Hole, which was more yellow.

The last item I ordered was the pellets and I compared it to the remainder of my previous order from around March 2020. The size is the same but this new batch, milled on 10/15/20, is much greener. I feed my pellets to the piggies in the morning so will try this new stock out tomorrow morning.

Overall, I am happy with this order of KMS hay and pellets (assuming the girls like the pellets).

Artista

Cavy Slave
I just received my KMS hay and the blue grass at the top of the box looks to be mainly long strands and green. I put some into the cage and my girls went to town on it. I also ordered 5 lbs of oat hay and it is greener than my last oat hay order, from Rabbit Hole, which was more yellow.

The last item I ordered was the pellets and I compared it to the remainder of my previous order from around March 2020. The size is the same but this new batch, milled on 10/15/20, is much greener. I feed my pellets to the piggies in the morning so will try this new stock out tomorrow morning.

Overall, I am happy with this order of KMS hay and pellets (assuming the girls like the pellets).

I thought oat hay is beige! Sps was which my girls ignored.
My girls have always loved kms pellets. I like it's made fresh.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I just bought a bunch of Oxbow Orchard Grass from Chewy. They had a special deal, they give a $10 discount on a $50 purchase. But it was only on the Oxbow orchard grass. I usually get the the Timothy/Orchard grass mix, but my pig seems to leave half of it uneaten. The orchard grass is greener than the timothy and she seems to be leaving less of it uneaten. As others have said, though, the bags are smaller. I think the largest is the 40 oz size.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Yesssss! Kms bluegrass is very green! Girls are munching away!!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I've been telling you how good their bluegrass is currently. My boys eagerly anticipate the cage clean and litter box refresh at night. They can barely wait until I have finished and promptly run and jump into the litter box and hay. :love::p

Artista

Cavy Slave
I've been telling you how good their bluegrass is currently. My boys eagerly anticipate the cage clean and litter box refresh at night. They can barely wait until I have finished and promptly run and jump into the litter box and hay. :love::p

I tested with a 2 lb box. Going to get more soon.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Just received an email from GuineaDad site that they now have a very limited supply of orchard hay . It is selling quick, so if you are interested, take a look at their site soon. Since it is in the same packaging as the timothy hay, the new orchard hay will also be short strands. I've been one of the people emailing GuineaDad's site to ask for orchard hay, as I'm allergic to timothy hay.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
@SSLee, thank you for the notification. I just went to their site and ordered the Orchard hay. My pigs seem to really like their Timothy hay so I hope they like the Orchard hay just as well.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie, would love for your feedback once your piggies have tried the GuineaDad orchard hay.

These days I seem to spend all my extra money buying guinea pig items. After the GuineaDad email, an email from Binkybunny.com arrived in my in-box so of course I had to go check it out. When I first took in my guinea pigs I bought some mini bales of blue grass and oat hay from Binkybunny.com. Being inexperienced, I thought the shorter strand hay was inferior, stashed it in the cubicle at work, and promptly forgot about it. Recently my manager told me that we need to downsize our offices and I will have to give up the cubicle where I store all my guinea pig supplies. While clearing the cubicle, I found the mini bales and brought them home for the piggies. They liked it but it had turned brown over time, so I composted the bales. Just now, I ordered two mini bales, one rye and one timothy blue (blue grass, timothy, and orchard blend). Other than KMS, this is the only site where I've seen blue grass and have not seen rye before. This time, I know to give them to the piggies right away and not waste the hays.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Never heard of rye hay. I just ordered 10lbs bluegrass from kms.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
@SSLee, I'll be happy to post and let you know how well the Orchard hay is received by my pigs. I was a little upset when I first received my boxes of Guinea Dad Timothy hay because of the short strands but my pigs really seemed to like it. Even now when I mix it with the KMS or Oxbow they immediately pick through it to get the shorter strands.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.