Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Friar Tuck's medical thread

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
So Friar Tuck didn't have the best day today... this morning he wouldn't eat anything. So we got the critcal care back out and gave him lot, which he took pretty willingly. I mixed about a 1/4 teaspoon of organic pumpkin and carrot baby food with the critical care, and it made him enjoy it much more.

Towards afternoon he came out and ate a little pile of moist pellets. After his last critcal care feeding tonight, he ate one sprig of cilantro, and he's still eating even more moist pellets! I haven't let him have any surgery veggies z and he hasn't had any veg but the cilantro. He's pooping about half the normal amount, but the poops are normal size/shape. I'll definitely try the poop soup if he isn't better tomorrow. (No worries about it grossing me out, it takes more than that :) )His weight is holding around 900g (he was 920ish the last two days)...

So I think we're beating whatever bump in the road this is.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The bump in the road has turned into another mountain...I think there's something wrong with his teeth; something over grown. His incisors look off to me, I don't think they're lined up:
18225.jpeg
There's no lump or puffiness, he doesn't act like it hurts when you touch it, but the right side of his face looks... slightly off. (His right, our left looking at the pic) His right eye had a clear tear coming from it this morning, making his fur wet.
18212.jpg
18205.jpeg

His weight dipped down to the 850s, exactly where he was last time before getting better. He eats the critcal care very well--- actually wants it, unlike last time, he has an appetite. He ate a small pile of moist pellets on his own the last few days, and nibbled an orange a tiny bit. There's less poop than normal but it still remains a normal size/shape.

I don't get it! He was doing SO good, eating tons of hay, eating everything normally. For the last week he began slowly eating less hay and snubbing bell peppers, but his weight was staying up so I wasn't terribly worried. But then his weight kept going up and down erratically, he was eating less of anything, and now here we are...

We're trying to get a vet appointment. What does everyone think? Your experience? Best way to go from here?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Classic sign of something wrong with his back teeth. See an exotic vet with dental experience.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I was afraid this would happen. This is exactly what we were talking about before, about being on critical care for an extended period of time. If he doesn't eat normally and his teeth don't wear themselves down properly, this unfortunately can be the result. He will need to have a procedure to have his back molars filed down, and hopefully this will just be a one-time thing.

the good news is, once he has the procedure done within a day or two he should start eating normally on his own.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Paws crossed for your little Friar Tuck! Hope he feels better soon!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
We have an appointment tomorrow at 2:30, earliest we could get. Thanks for all the support and other piggies cheering for Friar Tuck <3

There's still some clear tears coming from his right eye this afternoon. Not gunk, just clear water. has anyone else had a piggy with dental issues do that?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have not seen that personally, but if the right side of his mouth is irritated it wouldn't surprise me.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
At this point it is imperative to keep up with the critical care. His mouth is irritated and he doesn't want to eat on his own, so keeping him properly nourished with the critical care will be essential. As you know, guinea pigs hide illnesses until the point where they are no longer able to. the fact that his incisors are angled and he no longer wants to eat on his own means it's definitely critical to keep him fed.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
My heart goes out to both you and little Friar. I will keep him in my prayers and hope that after your appointment tomorrow things will start looking up. You have been doing such a wonderful job with him. He's very lucky to have you as his caregiver.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Yes, he's back on four times a day critcal care feedings and pedialyte. Luckily he's eating it really well, instead of fighting to get enough in him he's happily eating it. He's been out nibbling a few wet pellets on his, too. Also his feet are better!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much, [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION] <3

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
You are so observant! Yes, there looks like a little swelling on the right side of his face and the front teeth are angled. I'm hoping the best for you two at the vet appointment tomorrow. Luckily you've kept his nutrition up with the Critical Care, so he's in good health and just needs this tooth business resolved.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
We lost our fight today, we know what it was and it wasn't fixable.... Friar Tuck got his wings today. I'll update more when I'm up to it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh.

Oh no. I don't have any words. I am so, so sorry. I was positive he'd be ok. I was waiting to hear good news tonight and this was NOT what I expected.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
We lost our fight today, we know what it was and it wasn't fixable.... Friar Tuck got his wings today. I'll update more when I'm up to it.

I am so very sorry. You and Friar Tuck fought so hard. Know that you did everything you could to make his last days meaningful and loved. Take as much time as you need to process and grieve.

We are here for you.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I'm still reeling as well,I thought we were winning the battle--- that we had won it. But later last night and this morning I knew something was more badly wrong. He was really weak, his weight had dropped 40 grams overnight despite all the critcal care.

He had a full sedated oral exam. His molars were slightly, but barely overgrown. But his back teeth were black, degenerating to his jaw. His right jaw line, gums and whole right side of face were badly swollen. The vet thinks it was most likely cancer, or possibly a bone deep infection resistant to the rounds of antibiotics we've been through. But most likely cancer, that we caught extremely early and all our care carried him this long, and kept him feeling ok until it progressed to this point. So we let him stay asleep under anesthesia and oxygen, and wake up at the rainbow bridge.

He was such a special piggy, even our vet was almost crying. My heart is so pained but thankful for the joy he brought--- a light that bright never truly fades.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@MerryFriarTuck

I think we all share your pain this evening. You did absolutely everything you could for him, and your care kept him this long. You did him the greatest kindness today and believe me, I know how much it hurts. There are no words to describe it.

Rest in peace, FT. Your mom and your family love you so very much.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family. I know at a time like this words seem so trivial but I hope you can take comfort in knowing what a wonderful life you gave Friar. All of your loving care gave him more time with you and he knew that he was a much loved piggy. You went on and above all that was humanly possible to help him. Rest In Peace, sweet boy!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Friar Tuck's light will never fade. He was very special. He had the whole forum rooting for him and now we mourn with you. You put him first even at the end. He was very loved.

And through your love and care while posting here, you and he will bring comfort and knowledge to another owner who is struggling with similar challenges now and in the furture. Thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.