0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Baby guinea pig won't open eyes

Hi All,
    My guinea pig gave birth three days ago to three healthy babies and one who died either in childbirth or right after (we woke up in the morning and saw the dead baby lying on the floor of the cage ). The three live ones were totally healthy and fine. Today I noticed that one of the babies is not opening his eyes. He had his eyes fully open the past two days, but today he has his eyes tightly closed as he walks, eats, etc. I don't see any pus that might indicate infection. The other two babies have eyes open as normal. Should I be worried?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/14 Posts

Re: Baby guinea pig won't open eyes

Is he still nursing ,gaining weight and act normally? I had a pup who closed his eyes (he was 3 days old too) and didn’t gain weight, nurse, eat or walk around like the others. Although I tried to hand feed him and he got a little better, he passed away 9 days later. It turned out that he had an internal defect

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peanny77 View Post
    Is he still nursing ,gaining weight and act normally? I had a pup who closed his eyes (he was 3 days old too) and didnít gain weight, nurse, eat or walk around like the others. Although I tried to hand feed him and he got a little better, he passed away 9 days later. It turned out that he had an internal defect
    He looks like he is walking around and acting normally.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    134 Rec'd/98 Posts

Is the bub a rex or teddy (that is, has curly hair)? It could be from entropion, which is when the eyelids sort of roll in and the hair rubs against the eye. It's not uncommon in pups with rexoid fur, and depending on severity, is usually pretty easy to treat until they grow out of it.

User Tag List