Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Baby guinea pig won't open eyes

beelev

Cavy Gazer
Hi All,
My guinea pig gave birth three days ago to three healthy babies and one who died either in childbirth or right after (we woke up in the morning and saw the dead baby lying on the floor of the cage :sad:). The three live ones were totally healthy and fine. Today I noticed that one of the babies is not opening his eyes. He had his eyes fully open the past two days, but today he has his eyes tightly closed as he walks, eats, etc. I don't see any pus that might indicate infection. The other two babies have eyes open as normal. Should I be worried?

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Is he still nursing ,gaining weight and act normally? I had a pup who closed his eyes (he was 3 days old too) and didn’t gain weight, nurse, eat or walk around like the others. Although I tried to hand feed him and he got a little better, he passed away 9 days later. It turned out that he had an internal defect :(

beelev

Cavy Gazer
Is he still nursing ,gaining weight and act normally? I had a pup who closed his eyes (he was 3 days old too) and didn’t gain weight, nurse, eat or walk around like the others. Although I tried to hand feed him and he got a little better, he passed away 9 days later. It turned out that he had an internal defect :(
He looks like he is walking around and acting normally.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is the bub a rex or teddy (that is, has curly hair)? It could be from entropion, which is when the eyelids sort of roll in and the hair rubs against the eye. It's not uncommon in pups with rexoid fur, and depending on severity, is usually pretty easy to treat until they grow out of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.