Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts

Possible Chronic Respiratory Problems

Hi! I recently acquired a new female guinea pig from someone giving her away on NextDoor. She is 3-4 years old and has lived on low-quality pine bedding her entire life. I have had her quarantined from my other pig for about 3 weeks. She occasionally makes small clicking sounds when breathing, but it hasn't gotten any worse in the 3 weeks I've had her. No excessive sneezing, no discharge from nose or eyes, not lethargic, no weight loss. She's a very bright, active, and healthy looking pig otherwise. It doesn't seem like a URI to me since the clicking noise is her only symptom but I could be wrong.

My question is... Could it be possible that this clicking sound she occasionally makes is from living on dirty, low-quality bedding her whole life and that it will always be present? Also, how much longer should I wait to introduce her to my other guinea pig?
    **I will say that funds are low for a vet check unless it's absolutely necessary. COVID has impacted us financially, as well as two emergency vet visits with my cat/dog this year. I do have Baytril on hand if it would be recommended to give her antibiotics for a while.**

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/38 Posts

Smile Re: Possible Chronic Respiratory Problems

What kind of bedding was it? Not that it really matters, but if it was pine/cedar bedding, I would be a tad more concerned. The scent of pine bedding may irritate the respiratory tract, and may cause issues. In your case, your elder sow is only showing one URI symptom. As much as I would love to help, I can give no more advise, but maybe @bpatters can help you. Poor-quality bedding can definitely cause this. As in a suspected URI case, until a sure diagnosis is made, I would social distance the piggies, as URI is EXTREMELY contagious, it's best to keep them apart. :(

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

Re: Possible Chronic Respiratory Problems

I would keep her quarantined on a good bedding for at least two weeks preferably three. If her current respiratory symptoms are caused by the pine bedding, you'll probably see improvement. And if you don't see improvement, or if she gets worse, it's likely not the bedding but a URI.

Definitely don't introduce her to your other guinea pig until you're sure the new one is healthy. If you don't have money for one vet visit, you surely don't have enough for two.

User Tag List