Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Rehoming my guinea pigs

namida

Cavy Gazer
@namida, we do not recommend that people buy from pet stores under any circumstances. Most guinea pigs sold in stores are bred and raised in horrible conditions. No effort is made to keep track of who's impregnating whom, and there is much inbreeding. Sows are kept continually pregnant until they are too old to breed, and then they're killed.

If you're in an area that doesn't have guinea pig rescues, you should seriously consider getting another kind of pet rather than a guinea pig When you buy from a pet store, you participate in that chain of horrible breeding and sale of guinea pigs, and there's just no need to do that.
My babies are the best that I ever had. But you are right, we should not buy from a pet shop. Though I am glad that guinea pig is rare in rehoming centers here - supposedly most people are committed to raising their pigs.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
It's frustrating that some parents don't realize the lessons they are really teaching their children. If a pet is ill, they don't want to pay for vet care so they let the pet suffer. If they have an old pet, they don't want to bother with special meds or special food. We learn empathy and compassion for others through the care of pets. In many situations, pets are a child's best friend. When the parents need help, when they are old and in poor health, should the children refuse to help because it's too much trouble or too expensive? After all, that's what they were taught growing up.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I know they have been rehomed for only a month but I miss them already...I don’t think I could wait till I’m 18 to get gps again...I want them back so badly! I don’t think they could wait till I’m 18. Whenever I think of them and all the good times we have had together I just want to cry! This year when I passed the highschool test,shall I ask my parents to get them back? I’m getting afraid that the new owners won’t treat them correctly (they don’t reply to my messages). Could you give me some information for brand new owners so that I could show it to my parents to proof I was right?

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I know they have been rehomed for only a month but I miss them already...I don’t think I could wait till I’m 18 to get gps again...I want them back so badly! I don’t think they could wait till I’m 18. Whenever I think of them and all the good times we have had together I just want to cry! This year when I passed the highschool test,shall I ask my parents to get them back? I’m getting afraid that the new owners won’t treat them correctly (they don’t reply to my messages). Could you give me some information for brand new owners so that I could show it to my parents to proof I was right?

Oh, I am so sorry, I see your want your piggy fix. When I go to pet stores to get pellets and stuff it is an AUTOMATIC to go see all the animals, The pet store I shop at gets their animals from rescues, (The local rescue confirmed that) These guinea pigs are actually living in a good condition, with a c and c cage and everything. Maybe you could go to a petsmart and ask to hold a gp for a little bit, (Petsmart is not the store btw)

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Oh, I am so sorry, I see your want your piggy fix. When I go to pet stores to get pellets and stuff it is an AUTOMATIC to go see all the animals, The pet store I shop at gets their animals from rescues, (The local rescue confirmed that) These guinea pigs are actually living in a good condition, with a c and c cage and everything. Maybe you could go to a petsmart and ask to hold a gp for a little bit, (Petsmart is not the store btw)

Thank you but I live in Southeast Asia and there is no such thing as a Petsmart here...

peanny77

Cavy Slave
If your parents didn't care about your pigs before, I wouldn't bother trying to get anymore til you move out or have your own job where you can pay for the right things they need. It is not worth risking a new set of pigs. There will always be pigs out there for you in the future. It is hard and it is okay to miss them and normal to worry, but you have to consider the welfare of any future pigs while you live with your parents. You don't want the same thing to happen again. Maybe try something else, like seeing if your parents will allow you to volunteer at an animal shelter or rescue somewhere if you want animal interaction.

There are very few animal shelters where I live... And as I said in my earlier post, I’m a 9th grader so now I must focus on my studies to pass the highschool exam.
When I first got my pigs, I was 12 and didn’t have much access to Internet ,also I got my first pig from a pet store and listened to their advice so I was feeding them the wrong diet, keeping them in a cage that was way too small and used the wrong bedding. That may have made my parents think that was the right way to take care of them. When I was 13 I realized I was doing everything wrong and tried to explain to them but they didn’t believe me. And that’s where it all happened. I tried to improve their life little by little but... you know .Maybe showing them the information on this forum will change their mind.
Now... I can’t say that my parents don’t care about my pigs. One day before rehoming, Dad said he would buy them a bag of pellets every month (not enough for them and I still have to pay for the rest). Now, my mom keeps asking me “Your guinea pigs really miss you. Don’t you miss them?”.I’m confused...
I think I should make it clear with them. I’m a minor, so if I get gps, my parents are supposed to be the ones who pay, not me. They still believe gps don’t need hay and they’ll be just fine with tiny wire bottomed cages.I’m looking for information to show them.
I didn’t say I want a new set of pigs, I want my old ones back... I’m afraid that when I turn 18, they are no longer alive...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.