Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Piggies and Painting

JaneDoe

Cavy Slave
No, I am not going to paint them and no, I am not going to teach them to paint. :)

My landlady wants to paint in a few days. The boys and I live in the basement. The basement is not being painted but their cages are near an area that will be upstairs (there is no door.) Should I move their cages or send them to be boarded for a couple days? Thanks!

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
We painted our living room and hallway last year and the area was near where our piggies live. The paint odor did not seem to bother them. We always use a paint that has no VOC's. Since you can't control what paint your landlady uses, I would just move the pigs to the far area of the room and maybe put up a large plastic sheet to cover the open area. That would help to block off the odor from the paint. If you have an air purifier I would keep it running. It would be nice if you were able to talk your landlady into using no VOC paint. It's available in all of the big box stores and is better for people as well as pets.

You could always board them but I think moving them out would probably more more stressful for them.

JaneDoe

Cavy Slave
Thank you, Kelsie!

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
@JaneDoe please ignore the double "more" in my post. I didn't notice it until it was too late to edit.

JaneDoe

Cavy Slave
Well, the painters are gone and the piggies appear none the worse for the wear. :love:

From the web searches I've done paints now are less toxic than they were ten years ago. :)

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
That's great to hear. I remember the paints my parents used when I was a kid. It was almost impossible to stay in the house when they were painting. The paint odors were so headache inducing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.