Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

STINKY!!! kitchen area

I have a 2x5 grid cage for my 2 boys (my original set, not my abandoned boys). They have been using these washable pee pads from Amazon (some asian knock off brand I believe, Kooltail) which work GREAT!!! except in the kitchen area. The 'kitchen' is at one end, where all their hay, food and water is. It is a single washable pee pad with a disposable dog pee pad underneath. Anywhere else in the cage I can change in a few days and it isn't stinky but their kitchen can start smelling within a day- wet, lots of broken down debris from I guess the hay, and poop. I spot clean daily, but obviously this isn't helping. I want to change their kitchen area to something else but I don't know what. I really don't want to use paper bedding because I hate buying it and I want to try to cut their disposable costs down to just the disposable pee pads I use under the washable ones.

It is not an overbearing smell that is smelled all over my house, but their kitchen area is by my couch so I can smell it from a couple feet away.

Thanks
    Thanks
    97 Rec'd/93 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

Re: STINKY!!! kitchen area

I have homemade fleece wee pads that I use for my pig’s hay pile and I throw them in the wash each day. They’re about the size of a large placemat and they are a layer of fleece, a kitchen towel or microfiber towel, and woven fabric. The woven side works well for a hay pile since the hay doesn’t stick to it, and the fleece side is nice for bedding.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Re: STINKY!!! kitchen area

I think I figured out what is happening. They are pooping all over their kitchen area, and as it dries they are pulverizing their poop as they spend time in the area. Every time I change it, there is a layer of crumbly, dusty poopies. I'll have to clean that area more than I do now.

User Tag List