Thread: Bloated, overweight, or pregnant?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Exclamation Bloated, overweight, or pregnant?

My boyfriend and I adopted 2 guinea pigs 23 days ago, both sows. They were in the shelter for 1 month and were already bonded. One of them, Boba, has noticeably been gaining weight and seems to have a tennis ball in her belly. My boyfriend and I don't know if she somehow has gotten pregnant, or is just bloated. She eats regularly, if not more than before, and drinks normally too. She seems more lazy and only lays in her hidey instead of walking around. She also squeals when we try to pick her up, but we don't know if its because of her unknown condition or if she just hates being picked up by us. She wouldn't yelp before at the shelter where we first met her. I just want to know if the timeline is possible for her to be pregnant. Also we noticed every 2 weeks she rumble struts like she's in heat, so maybe that counteracts the theory of her being pregnant? We really have no clue and we would like some advice. Thank you :)

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Re: Bloated, overweight, or pregnant?

This may help: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she

Are you sure they're both sows? You've turned both over and compared their private parts?

Sows can get pregnant as early as about 4-5 weeks of age. Do you know how old she is?

It's very unlikely that it's bloat if she's eating and pooping normally.

Are you weighing her regularly? A kitchen scale is the best piece of medical equipment you can have for your pigs.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Re: Bloated, overweight, or pregnant?

Thank you for the link, we will read it together right now. Yes we are sure they are both sows, and Boba is approximately 6 months, perhaps a little younger or a little older. We are not weighing her regularly right now, but my mom is bringing me a kitchen scale tomorrow to start weighing them. We have also noticed our third piggy, Nugget, (who is naturally dominant) is picking on her more when there's food involved (chasing, nipping). Before they got along just fine, but since the weight gain Nugget has been more aggro towards Boba. Boba has also been acting more submissive, but normally she is dominant because her bonded mate, Muffin, is submissive to her.

User Tag List