Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Spasms in guinea pig sides before peeing

lattiee

Cavy Slave
My four year old guinea pig Boogies has been getting like spasms just before he pees. It's like his lower tummy size spasms right on the side it almost feels like it is a gas spasm in both sides of his belly. He is peeing fine, drinking fine, eating fine and pooping normally. So I'm wondering if you guys have any idea of the spasms before peeing could mean ?

lattiee

Cavy Slave
Please someone respond to this as Boogies has started to Pee Blood and it seem like his penis is swollen on the inside so I'm going to make arrangements for a vet visit but I wonder what tests should I request to figure out if its blood from the urinary tract or a issue with his penis ?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Boogies needs a vet NOW. It sounds to me like he has a bladder stone, and it could also be a urinary tract infection. X-rays would be a good place to start.

lattiee

Cavy Slave
Boogs does have a bladder stone there is not vet in our city that can remove bladder stones and it's to big to pass on the own so the vet I saw also takes cares of the zoo guinea pigs so he said surgery which is risky, b put on palliative care with antibiocs and pain meds or to be put to sleep.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Boogs does have a bladder stone there is not vet in our city that can remove bladder stones and it's to big to pass on the own so the vet I saw also takes cares of the zoo guinea pigs so he said surgery which is risky, b put on palliative care with antibiocs and pain meds or to be put to sleep.

I am so sorry, @lattiee.

I know it sounds easy to say, but the kindest thing to do for Boogies is let him go. Have your vet ease him out painlessly.

If the bladder stones moves and blocks his urethra like it sounds like it's about to, he will fade quickly and very, very painfully. I went through this in May with my baby Scooter. I took him to the vet after he peed blood twice. They were not certain at the time what it was, and wanted him brought back in the morning after putting him on antibiotics. His vet visit was at 5pm. I held him on my chest and he faded very quickly. I sent my wife out so she didn't have to watch. I hoped he would make it but he passed just after 9pm and it hurt very, very much to watch him suffer. Not nearly as much as it hurt him.

Again, I am so sorry. Boogs needs you to be as strong as you can be for him, but a bladder stone surgery is very risky for a male pig and if it lodges he won't survive it.

lattiee

Cavy Slave
The vet we saw today said Boogies is a good candiate for the surgery and he did say Boogs is healthy other than that stone issue, normal heart rate, normal weight, normal breathing , eatiing and drinking does well on pain medicines as he is on metacam. How quick do bladder stones move to block the uretha as the vet gave the surgery treatment plan and I just go will surgery end his life at a high price as what's usually on a guinea pig cystomy removal plan as I wonder is there some stuff unneccessary and would it make his life go down the hill pretty quickly

I am so sorry, @lattiee.

I know it sounds easy to say, but the kindest thing to do for Boogies is let him go. Have your vet ease him out painlessly.

If the bladder stones moves and blocks his urethra like it sounds like it's about to, he will fade quickly and very, very painfully. I went through this in May with my baby Scooter. I took him to the vet after he peed blood twice. They were not certain at the time what it was, and wanted him brought back in the morning after putting him on antibiotics. His vet visit was at 5pm. I held him on my chest and he faded very quickly. I sent my wife out so she didn't have to watch. I hoped he would make it but he passed just after 9pm and it hurt very, very much to watch him suffer. Not nearly as much as it hurt him.

Again, I am so sorry. Boogs needs you to be as strong as you can be for him, but a bladder stone surgery is very risky for a male pig and if it lodges he won't survive it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A bladder stone, if it moves, you'll know very quickly. And if it moves its already too late. If Boogies is a good candidate for surgery, if he were mine I'd do it and do it fast.

See, we didn't even know Scooter HAD a bladder stone. In hindsight, some of the things that were happening like the bloat may have tipped me off. But it didn't. At the time with everything else that was happening with him, two and two did not equal four.

Scooter was begging for a treat at 630am on May 26, 2020. At 10am, he peed red for the first time. He peed a lot more red at noon that day.

By 4pm, he was very obviously in tremendous discomfort and I packed him up in the carrier and off to the vet he went. Had I known it was a bladder stone blocking his urethra, I would have sent him across the Rainbow Bridge right then. But I didn't. He came home with antibiotics and he was to go right back first thing in the morning. He came home at 6pm.

He faded very, very quickly from that point. He lost all muscle tone about an hour or so after coming home, and his breathing was very sporadic after that point. He took his last breath at 9:20pm.

So, he peed red for the first time at 10am. 12 hours later he was gone.

If Boogies can have the surgery, do it. But you have to understand there are risks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Waiting to see what happens is not a viable option for a bladder stone. I lost a pig by doing that -- she had a really bad bladder infection as well as the stone, and the vet wanted to see if could clear any of that up first.

Stones are incredibly painful, and a stone in a urethra is an expensive, painful emergency. You need to either have the surgery done or euthanize the pig. Unfortunately there's not much middle ground.

Sometimes a sow can pass a small stone, but it's much more difficult for a male because of the length of the urethra.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.